Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing Filenames

People that change filenames create a major problem for other users, as well as the network itself, for several reasons,it results in the SAME file having many different names,which results in that file being re-downloaded many times, by many users. This results in network bandwidth congestion.. which results in longer download times for YOU (do you hear me now?) it hinders "search results",you may not find the file at all,or you may get a file that has nothing to do with your search,you may just get the wrong file,or, the wrong media format(which pretty much makes that file useless) I am one of those people who like to add new content to my library and share it with other users;afterall, this IS what filesharing is all about.. right?? Yesterday I downloaded a 83Mb. .mpg file which wound up being corrupt and unusable (thank god I have Broadband) I came across this SAME file 5 more times,from 5 different users,each under a different filename (using Keywords that had nothing to do with the content of the file) This is very frustrating on Broadband.. but had I been on a "dial-up".. I would of been ready to commit murder !! So..unless there is a valid reason for changing a filename..DONT do it. Additionally, you should check the files that you download, if you find a problem with that file, you should REMOVE it from your library right away.. this will prevent its further spread throughout the network. (Thank god most users dont have .mp3 tag editors readily available to them)

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Thats not really new, there have been several topics abour fakes yet.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    yeah but he's new.
    have mercy
    come on man people do this cause of this stupid participation level crap they figure they can get a lot of people to download from them and raise their participation level if they just rename their copy of corky romano to some thing like Daredevil Xvid-dvd screener

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Yeah these fakes just tick me right off, usually they can be spotted a mile off, looking at the extra info, length of the film, etc. Eventually they work out of the system I think, as the proper films come onto the network and people start to share these. I'm broadband aswell, but it still is a pain. thank god for avi preview. saves a lot of pain i can tell you.

BK

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by Benno@16 February 2003 - 11:21
    Thats not really new, there have been several topics abour fakes yet. 
    Yeah..I know. I wasnt referring specifically to fakes. There are alot of legitimate files out there that have the same problem.. I just cant see the need for the SAME file having 62 different names... hence my comment on the .mp3 tag editor.. I can just see it now.. "Freebird" version 43265431(a) (d) (z) I just find this very frustrating, to say the least.. not to mention the horrendous waste of time and resources it consumes.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Yeah I see what you mean. As soon as the verifieds are back up you want have a problem finding anything you want.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    fair enough if its not just relating to fakes, but remember this, there are more than one person making copies of files from different sources and at different quality, file sizes, etc... so there are bound to be different file names, etc.. with millions of users on kazaa network, its not really surprising.

BK

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    BROCKSTER's Avatar Poster
    i hate fakes i hate fakes i hate fakes its stupid i dont c the point oh yer did i mention i hate fakes

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Do we have a new spamer (spel?) now.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    hmm I change all my file names to a 'artist - content' format like 'Capdown - Ska Wars.mp3' because lots of files i download have annoying names like 'punk-07- capdown_skawa.mp3' or something and i have like 500+ mp3's and would prefer them to be easy to read, is this one of the things you're complaning about?

I dont share any fake files tho

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast