Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Asap

I'm trying to install the ME upgrade on a clean disk (spare me the "ME=demon spawn" rants). The manual says I have to insert the 95 or 98 CD when prompted, setup asks for a 98 CD and claims my 95 CD is not a full Windows version.
    HELP !

(PS the bootdisk.com site seems to be down)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    That's SOP!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I'm going to assume you mean Standard Operating Procedure...
    Manual : (loose translation from Dutch)

[...]now place the product CD or -disk of A(&#33 complete version of Windows in the drive[...]

[...]you can verify an older version of Windows with all win98/95/workgroup disks[...]

I read : this thing should swallow win95 and setup ME. Instead , it ignores it's own manual - so I'm doing something wrong.

Constructive help , anyone?

(besides , the initial installation was done with a win95 disk)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Well perhaps your ME requires the original CD key!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Maybe maybe maybe......

People,

he has the windows 95 companion disk. It's a repair only disk that requires the original boot files on the hard drive.

You could spend the next 6 months looking for a setupup.exe file on the net or you can just get emule installed and download windows95c full.

It's that fkin simple!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    If by CD key you mean the 25-digit code on the orange sticker on the back of the CD-case , THAT one it accepts without problem...
    Sequence of events : ME asks for code , accepts code , then asks to specify a folder or disc with a full Windows version... either on a hdd or CD/disk. I place the win95 CD , specify the "win95" folder , hit "advance". A box appears saying my disc isn't win98 - but the manual said I need OR 95 OR 98 OR workgroup. So either the manual's wrong or I am somehow , somewhere missing SOMETHING... just can't figure this one out. As it stands , I'd have to get win98 THEN install ME over it , which seems to be an awful lot of trouble...

EDIT :missed that last post - thanks , finally something makes sense. Appreciate the help.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    You have a windows 95 repair disk and a windows ME upgrade disk.

From what you've said, you do NOT have any full OS installation disks of any kind.

You need one. Go get it. You're just wasting time here.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Didn't think of that one , I only found one CD labeled win95 and assumed it was the "full" disc. Thanks for the help - I'll be more carefull in the future.
    BTW , any easy way to recognise a repair disc "on sight"?

PS Knew I shouldn't have bothered with ME - might as well get 2K now...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    the disk you have is likely the companion disk. The only way to tell is to open it and look for executable files. There won't be a setup.exe on the companion. You can take it from another disk and it might work but you have to know what build you have and what build it's taken from and without installing it, that's a bit hard.

There are some great copies of windows ME and win2k on emule though. Get those and save yourself a lot of hassle.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I feel like I'm repeating myself , but thanks.
    Now I've got to explain to the PC's owner why it won't work today...
    Wish me luck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast