Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redhat Linux (enterprise Edition?)

SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I've begun downloading the free version but I was looking around for reviews of it and alot of people were commenting on how support of v9.0 of redhat is being discontinued as of April next year and everythings being migrated to their pay enterprise version.

I know very little about Linux but was wondering if I should stop the free download from Redhat and look for the Enterprise edition on the P2P networks (a quick check on emule revealed some versions for download).

Also is paid Linux cracked as much as Windows or is there a possability of being stuck with one version as no-ones releasing cracked upgrades?

Finally could someone post a verified download of the lastest version of Enterprise (I think its v3) if they know one (Preferablly Emule or BT as K++ tends to corrupt) as theres no real way to preview and it'd be messes if a fault occured halfway through the installation.

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    lol sry to let ya down but i dont believe what i listen....can you give a link about this "redhat being discontinued" thing you are talking about?

if they start selling the os, they wont be open source anymore....tsktsk

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I don't think they're discontinuing the free thing altogether (theres something called Fedora) but the pay one states that its stable and the next free one looks like its still in the development stages.

Like I said I don't know much about it - which is part of the reason why I want to try Linux.

But heres the one of the articles I read when looking for reviews:

http://news.osdir.com/article323.html

Should I just continue with the free Red Hat 9.0? One CD's at 50% and they're all paused so I can still continue...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    lol there goes the spirit of open source...... i guess a lot of "common users" are going for mandrake now

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    So what do I do?

Should I look into the Enterprise version? (and can anyone post a good verfied of it?)

I was hoping to get a Redhat distro though. I've heard others are O.K ( Mandrake like you mentioned and Suse) but decided Redhat would be good to try out (although they're not supposed to have full MP3 support and other stuff).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    i thought its not out yet?

i have redhat 8 and its cool....it does have mp3 support.....

www.linuxiso.org

get ur cds

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i thought its not out yet?
    The Enterprise version is. That is the pay version of Redhat Linux (it costs $173 to $1400).

Federa is the free version that will replace the RedHat v8.0, v9.0 etc ([url=http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=64heres[/url] the download link on the site you)

and for the MP3 support thing I think you can work around it. They just don't include it in the players that come when you install the OS (No mp3 support in redhat 8.0 and 9, Legal reasons)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    No company charges for linux, what you pay for is the support. They make you pay for that even if you dont need it. With fedora, well your on your own. Its more less for developers and stuff. Redhat 9 was ok but could have been better.

I used redhat linux advanced server 2.1 (5 cd's off emule, took me ages to download but was worth it.) for almost 3 years on my mj-12 and it ran great. I grew up on linux

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I've decided to have a go with Fedora. I would use enterprise but its hard to find it on emule (there are loads of edited filenames saying that they're corrupt and theres no telling how many CD's there are ).

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by SeK612@20 December 2003 - 14:52
    I've decided to have a go with Fedora. I would use enterprise but its hard to find it on emule (there are loads of edited filenames saying that they're corrupt and theres no telling how many CD's there are ).
    I only needed the first three although there is a total of 5 which I have.

But to tell you the truth, you should know if you need enterprise or not. When the fedora project is completed I think fedora willl make a good workstation or desktop o.s. like win xp or 2000 (but much better being its linux and all) . You may not need something as advanced as red hat "enterprise" server.

The name says it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast