Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus Update

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Hi All,

I've just received this pop up ad that wants me to put in my email address and also another box to confirm it saying it will update my Norton 2003 definitions...

Now, OBVIOUSLY, this is pure bullshit... the ad even looks it. What I want to do though is find the IP Address of the ad and run a trace route. Have a few ideas up my sleeve and need a 'lil help first.

I know there's a way to find out the IP Address using the MS-DOS Command Prompt, but I don't know the exact command. I know in XP (Current System), typing in 'ipconfig' will give my own IP, but I know there's another to find out all those which are connected to my PC. Any ideas?

Cheers in advance.

Samurai

2. Lounge   -   #2
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    you can use netstat to do that...but if it's just an email form it's not going to help.
    the best thing to do really is forward it to your
    email people's abuse department. (usually [email protected])

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Originally posted by Samurai@17 December 2003 - 05:49
    but I know there's another to find out all those which are connected to my PC. Any ideas?
    netstat -a

though you might not actually be connected to anything useful
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Cheers Sparsely,

I mean they must think we&#39;re stupid. Look how suspect this is lol...

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Install NeoTrace. You can right click on websites, links, pictures, etc. and it will show you the route it takes to get to the destination (on a world map), all the dns info, and has links to see different kinds of maps of the area.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    crap like that is why my mailbox is set to only accept message from people on my contact list.

^^^ and what xilo is talking about can be done from most any &#39;whois&#39; thingy, via traceroute. (like at geektools.com)

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Nah it wasn&#39;t in my email, just asking for my email address... I mean how the hell would I &#39;update my antivirus software&#39; via email lol what a load of BS.

I&#39;m seriously getting pi**ed off with these ads. I&#39;ve even turned the messenger system off in administration tools > services. I want them to burn in hell.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    you should get a good pop-up blocker...
    the one with the Google toolbar works good, but there are better.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    i just feel sorry for anyone who thinks it&#39;s real and fills it in
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Agreed. I&#39;m waiting til someone creates some sort of software that allows you to flood their IP address so their servers crash for a week. Personnally, I think they&#39;re taking liberties intruding on everyone&#39;s PC&#39;s. It&#39;s like someone walking into your house and saying "Buy This NOW&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;" or "How Would You Like This 10ft Penis Enlarger". I&#39;ma love the day when we can get them back. Love it I tell ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast