Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Return Of The King - can contain spoilers

chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by Zedaxax@6 January 2004 - 04:56
    Bilbo and the rest get on the boat because they are going across the sea to see the Valar, who were the supreme beings who created first the elves and then the rest of Middle Earth.

The power of the ring comes from the Valar and Morgoth (the first dark lord) and so everyone who has come into contact with it must eventually return to its source. In the book, even Sam crosses the sea many years later.
    Thanx for explanation (i was sort of close though)

It all becomes a lot more clear in The Silmarillion
    So there is hope for another movie?
    Zedaxax, I doubt we'll see The Silmarillion in celluloid.

It was more of a linguistic endeavour for Tolkien and a chance for him to root his Elven mythologies. It has a very episodic style, much like Greek and Norse sagas.

Unfortunately, for everyone, Tolkien died before fulfilling the full scope of his vision. So all we've got to go on are The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales (which give a richer backround of Gandalf).

2. Movies & TV   -   #102
    is why they didnt just hop on an eagle and drop the ring in the begining?
    Several reasons. One, Sauron would definitely notice a giant eagle flying into Mordor. They're not invincible. Two (per the directors commentary of the Fellowship dvd), the eagles had very specific reasons for doing things. They weren't just there to be the carrier pigeons of Middle Earth.

The third "The Eagles are the servants of Manwe, Lord of the Valar. Their intervention is assumed to be through his grace. The Valar seem to have taken a minimal intervention approach to Middle-earth in the Third Age, and although they have interest in Sauron being defeated they won't just knock him down and be done with it. For this reason the Eagles are occasionally used to tip the scales back into balance for the good guys, but they are not at the call of the Free Peoples to solve their problems

3. Movies & TV   -   #103
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@18 December 2003 - 08:55
    It was just about as I feared. Too much was cut out because of some odd choice to put Shelob in the third movie.

I heard the reason shelob was put in the 3rd movie because in the story even though the incident with shelob happened in the Two Towers (in the books) it actually takes place much later on in the story. In other words Frodo and Sam don't reach the spiders lair until several days after Gandalf and Pippin arrive in Midas Tirith which is well in to the 3rd movie. Peter Jackson mentions this in the Two Towers extended version and if u have a copy of the book a calander of the journey is in Appendix B under a section called THE GREAT YEARS 3018 with the major events listed in order as they happen in the story.

4. Movies & TV   -   #104
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    HM a few more months for a screener??

August have to Wait till the DVD comes out

5. Movies & TV   -   #105

I would like to see a fictional Historical documentiary of the Sillmarilion done in stead of a movie. (Kind the way they do those CG dinosaur wildlife documentiary like Chasing Dinosaurs or Dinosaur Planet.) I don't thinks you'll ever see it in film because anyone who ever read the book will tell u it would like be trying to condense the Old Testament in to one film. Also it's written like a vague historical document. The specifics of very few events are mentioned and the book spans from the creation of middle earth through thousands of years of history.

'It is said that even as Feanor and Fingolfin stood before Manwe, and it was the Mingling of the Lights and both Trees were shining and the silent city of Valmar was filled with radiance as of silver and gold, in that hour Melkor and Ungoliante came over the plain and stood before the Green Mound.' Morgoth's Ring.

6. Movies & TV   -   #106
    Dont take this wrong this is my favorite movie ever probably, but i think i pissed some people at the theater off Could not stop laughing my ass off when the guy lit himself on fire and jumped... they were all worried about them when it looked like they were all going to die, then that guy just... jumps. And when frodo kissed sam on the forehead alot of people were whispering *fag**fag**fag* Awww, it felt like it went by really fast to tell you the truth

7. Movies & TV   -   #107
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    First off let me say this is by far the best trilogy of movies I have ever seen. However, personally I think the first part was the best, followed but part two, and finally part 3. The introduction of the characters and their different cultures, and the discovery of this terrible threat to them all was just about the greatest build up in the history of films. Unfortunately, as with most things in life, the anticipation is better than the actual climax. Also, I don't think any scene in parts 2 or 3 came close to the powerful emotion of the scene near the end of part 1 where Borimir, after trying to take the ring, gets shot with numerous arrows but keeps on fighting to save his friends.

Anyway, I do have some questions about RotK maybe someone who read the books can answer...

1) How did the spider stab Frodo through his Methryl?

2) What ever happened to Wormtongue?

3) Why are people saying the ending was different from the book? I've seen the animated version and the part where Gollum bites off Frodo's finger, then falls into the lava is almost identical. How is the book different?

4) Along the same lines as the idea of using the eagles right from the start - why didn't Elrond suggest the army of the dead earlier, as they were able to wipe out the orcs with no problem.

8. Movies & TV   -   #108
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    wormtounge is the one who kills Sarum wormtounge then dies later on killed hobbit arches

wormtounge and Sarum were suppose to be in the first 7 minutes of the film but Peter Jackson had other ideas sux fush and chups as he would say in a new Zealand accent

9. Movies & TV   -   #109
    or as an Aussie would say fesh and cheps

10. Movies & TV   -   #110
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@18 December 2003 - 03:38
    You know what i noticed.

In the trailer, gandalf and shadowfax rear up at minas tirth, when i a dark rider shows up, at the white tree courtyard. Yet in the film, this part didnt show up?

must be on the extended version maybe?
    this scene will probably be in the Extended edtion.remember the withking saying to the sloth orc boss dude that he would break the wizard?Notice that near the end of the seige of Minas Tirith Gandalf suddenly has no staff.You see in the confrontation at the black gate that he doesn`t have it.The witchking breaks it when he fights with Gandalf.

Also cut was the mouth of Sauron scene at the black gates when Aragon,Gandalf,Legolas and co ride up to the gate.That was in the film but the bit where the dude comes out and tells them frodos dead and shows them his clothes isn`t.Hence Aragon looking all sorry ass as he turns and says "for Frodo" then charges headlong into a billion grumpy mofos.The mouth trys to barter with them saying you guys can have this bit of land there,and we`ll take this,this and this and then gandalf say`s something like go fuck yourself.Much to the mouths suprise..

Man i can`t wait for the extended DVD
    ALL HAIL Peter Jackson
    we are not worthy

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast