Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patrionmagic

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    what would happen if it lost power when it was moving a partition? would all data be lost

well its not actually partition magic, it volume manager 2. which is the same thing. its running from a bootable floppy and it stopped about 20% of moving the partition, and been like that fo about 3 hours, the mouse stil moves and i can hear hdd activity. and juts wondering what would hapen if i reseted.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Did you uncheck the bad sector test in preferences ? Power off and it'll bugger up.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    no. but it did that and then went on and came up moving partition and moving data.

first ones been sat at 20% an 2nd at 18% is there anything i can do without it buggerin up. its been the same for about 3 hours.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    It usually runs the sector check while it's moving the data. Is the IDE light still flashing? If you have a large drive , like 60 gig or more, it could take over 8 hours to do the move with bad sector checking enabled.

I don't know of any way to reverse a partial move other than easy recovery.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    its ok now. i finished at 4 in the morning, took about 6 hours in total, its an 80 gig drive. i think it must have still been worrking, but not updating the progress

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    lol, you had me a bit concerned! That happened to me the first few times I used it too. I never read the docs, I just dive in and use stuff

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by balamm@18 December 2003 - 15:03
    lol, you had me a bit concerned! That happened to me the first few times I used it too. I never read the docs, I just dive in and use stuff 
    yeah, same here.

but now i cant acces that partition, i have my drive as about 6 gigs as primary partition formated as ntfs. and the second secondary partition at 70gigs, using fat32, but in my computer its hsows as raw and obytes, but in volume manager it shows the right size and thats its a fat32 partition, and how much is used and free. whats wrong.

edit: and im using winxp.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Did you have a look at the advanced properties on right click? Make sure the first partition is set active and unhidden. and the second should be set as logical extended. Use the error checking and extended info in PQ and see what it says.

Make sure you uncheck the bad sector test this time though

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    first is active and hidden. definately, and i can boot of it, ill just check the other one, it isnt a logical, it is another primary drive. and status is none.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    I don't think XP is going to like 2 primary partitions. If you're trying to hide one and dual boot, then go with boot magic instead.
    I think ntfs OS's can still see a hidden partition unless you use advanced hiding like boot magic uses.
    When (if) XP boots, it'll set the primary partition active anyway. where ever the bootloader is, that's the active partition till the default OS loads or you select another one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast