Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do I Need

bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Ok, I will be trying to play this game on my new system. My new system will contain the following:

Nice Asus Mobo w/ dual channel. (dont wana get all the specs and stuff)

AMD 2500XP "Barton" Overclocked to somewhere around the 3200XP range hopefully

Kingston HyperX Series 2X256MB of ram.

GeForce 4 MMX 440 ( ) yes I know.

Now I know all of the other settings other then the graphics card would play this game FINE, but would this graphics card play this game at ALL? All it has on it is a heatsink, but im thinking about getting a HS/Fan for it so I can overclock it some.

My card is clocked at 250Mhz Core, and 332Mhz Memory clock. How high do you think these settings will have to go before I can play BF1942? All settings dont have to be on High...medium or low will work on most settings, I just want to play without a lot of jumpy frames and stuff

Thanks for ANY help!
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    big dawg, please don't jump right to overclocking...

I suggest that you just pat yourself on the back if you are able to get everything running well in the first place...

after about a month of doing extensive research about how to overclock safely, then proceed carefully. I think the jump you will experience going from a celeron to that particular chip should keep you satisfied for quite some time...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    and also dont expect to get the cheapest barton chip and overclock it straight to the highest performance barton, without some major cooling. or if its possible at all.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Mr dawg I had a p4 2.53 with some other ok/reasonable stuff, nothing fancy and a 440 or a 420 can&#39;t remember which nothing better though and it ran just fine, so don&#39;t do anything drastic till you try it first.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    A lot of people have overclocked there 2500XP to a 3200XP with stock cooling.

Thanks for the info zero cool, that makes me a little more confident.

Im not talking about overclocking my CPU im talking about overclocking my GPU. But zero cool said his worked fine so I will just try it stock at first.

All you have to do with the 2500 is make it 200X11 and it will run at 2200. DONT GET ME WRONG&#33; I wont immediatly take that big of a jump&#33; I will inch up there and make sure everything is running right of course.

Edit: also my friend has a system which has a 2200XP, 512MB of PC2700 RAM, Some sort of mobo that doesnt look bad at all..has a chipset cooler and stuff, and a TI4200 128MB GPU. I reformated his HDD and put XP Pro SP1 on there. His system runs very slow for a computer of that spec I think. It takes a long time to go through folders and open programs and stuff. Going through stuff is only a little bit faster then mine...Ive always wondered about why his runs so slow. Also its from Emachine..which I think could be the problem..

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    no probs, that wee card is not as bad as many think it handles quite a lot thrown at it I have only just very recently upgraded and it is probably very debatable whether I really needed to. As far as I can remember(haven&#39;t played it for a bit) I ran a pretty high spec/detail game wise and it was fine Hope you get on ok.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    u don&#39;t need to oc to play bf1942 with that system

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    even with that GPU...I thought it was like horrible..

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@15 December 2003 - 19:47
    Ive always wondered about why his runs so slow. Also its from Emachine..which I think could be the problem..
    Partially correct.
    The eMachines BIOS won&#39;t let you do much of anything to tweak the settings and they have them set very conservatively.

You could still probably do quite a bit to speed up Windows for him though.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    What do you mean they set them conservativly? Like do they downgrade some of that stuff or something? What stuff would they do to the bios to make it slower?

I have done some windows tweaking also...just like a little bit of stuff to the system.ini that i got off of tweak3d.net that has boosted my systems performance fo sho.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast