View Poll Results: Death penalty, are you for or against?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • No i'm against deathpenalty

43 36.44%
  • No, i'm against deathpenalty.. but in some cases i think..... (specify)

27 22.88%
  • Yes, i'm for deathpenalty

44 37.29%
  • No opinion

4 3.39%
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by Mavol@21 December 2003 - 14:03
    well i dont think we can just dump 'em somewhere. maybe a good brainwash would work
    Brainwash? Too many dollars for something that mostly won't work. Anyway, why should society have to go through such lengths to make a person fly right. We pay enough with psychiatrists, food, shelter, and guards.

Why can't we just "dump them somewhere" if we were ready to kill them before?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    Hey, you know the term "...for the rest of your natural life."

Well a mate of mine was in a car accident and "died" on the operating table. He was revived, so although he is 26 he has a second birthday which makes him 14.

So, does that mean if your heart stops for the required length of time to be declared legally dead, and you are then revived, you "naturally" died and therefor can get out of prison?

Cryogenics?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    Originally posted by Alex H@22 December 2003 - 03:16

Well a mate of mine was in a car accident and "died" on the operating table. He was revived, so although he is 26 he has a second birthday which makes him 14.

So, does that mean if your heart stops for the required length of time to be declared legally dead, and you are then revived, you "naturally" died and therefor can get out of prison?

Cryogenics?
    uhhhh...no
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by Alex H@22 December 2003 - 03:16

Cryogenics?
    Go here. You'll do well.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    Thank you chalice

Seriously, if you are legally dead for even a few minutes that means you are "legally" dead. (Oh great I walked into that one)

So if you're dead, technically you get you're debt wiped, release from jail, etc.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from j2k4, J'Pol and hobbes especially. Judging from the previous responses they would be the only ones around here with opinions worth listening to.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Originally posted by Alex H@22 December 2003 - 06:58
    Thank you chalice

Seriously, if you are legally dead for even a few minutes that means you are "legally" dead. (Oh great I walked into that one)

So if you're dead, technically you get you're debt wiped, release from jail, etc.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from j2k4 and hobbes especially.
    They just throw the switch again...dude.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Alex H@22 December 2003 - 02:58

I'd be interested to hear opinions from j2k4, J'Pol and hobbes especially. Judging from the previous responses they would be the only ones around here with opinions worth listening to.
    I propose this um, loophole be closed immediately.

One should not escape one's debt's and penalties with the help of miracles.

The seculars would surely demand the Diety speak more clearly, in any case.

Also, I believe the "few minutes" condition applies to death in the clinical sense, not the legal.

They may be coincident, or there may be another definition, I do not know.

I don't think I've ever heard of a legal application of "death" such as would apply in this case.

It may also be that God does not grant this type of miracle to debtors or other criminals.

The occasional defective "hanging rope" I would attribute to human incompetence or intervention.

I apologize if my post doesn't reflect some important point made elsewhere in this thread; I haven't read all of it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@22 December 2003 - 19:45

I apologize if my post doesn't reflect some important point made elsewhere in this thread; I haven't read all of it.
    I think you could at least do us the courtesy of reading your own post, before inflicting it upon us, it seems only fair.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    In my country there was a moratorium for death penalty but recently it was restored because of rampant criminal cases.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #60
    Poster
    Originally posted by Alex H@22 December 2003 - 04:16

Cryogenics?
    I am not au fait with the term " .... for the rest of your natural life", it may be an American thing. In the UK would the person not be sentenced to life imprisonment. Or is that phrase used in UK courts.

The Judge often makes a minimum term to be served recommendation. I'm not sure if that is always the case. Bear in mind that life does in fact mean life, the person is never truly released, they get out on licence and can be put back in prison at any time.

In any jurisdiction where your phrase is used, are you suggesting that anyone who is revived is no longer living a natural life. What exactly do you think unnatural about it. In what way is it different from anyone else being alive.

In essence I don't really see your point, however others may.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast