Thread: Ftp

Ok i don't know anything about FTP ( there i admited it )

and a friend of mine asked for my FTP Address, i have no clue how 2 find out my FTP Addres...

I gather it is sum sort of way 2 share files, but wot program do i need and is it free and well i just need sum advice & help on this matter...

any help wud b gr8

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    ok....first an ftp address is a SERVER..... so if you want to manage an FTP Server, you need an ftp server (duh...obviously)...

this way, he can try to connect to your ip by putting (either in IE or in an ftp client)
    ftp://ip#.ip#.ip#.ip#:21

21 is the port....

what are you trying to share? cuz there is something easier than ftp to set up

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    For FTP you need a FTP program. There are plenty around. A popular free one is WS_FTP.

As for connecting to other users I'm not too sure. Its easy enough to connect to a FTP server (type in IP and port number and the User/Pass if needed) but connecting direct to another user who is just running their net connection I don't know about (I would guess typing in someones IP then a port number would not connect as it'd be a security flaw...).

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    damn you SH

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by DWk@20 December 2003 - 16:01
    damn you SH

ROFLMAO

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    HFS is kinda easier than ftp tho

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by DWk@20 December 2003 - 15:08
    HFS is kinda easier than ftp tho
    ftp isn't too hard when you get to know what you're doing

the first time i was setting up my ftp server, it took nearly an hour of explanation, last time i set one up took 2 minutes

edit: and ftp is arguably more secure than hfs
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    You basicly setup a folder/files(s)to the internet mate,like a website with no pages just files using a ftp server.With your server address then mate they can just login to that folder & download the files or upload.Make sure you set it up right thou mate& protect it,otherwise any body who stumbles upon it can access it or other things.