Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I Kill Myself?

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Lamsey+22 December 2003 - 00:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 22 December 2003 - 00:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Nimdock@21 December 2003 - 22:10
    <!--QuoteBegin-balamm
    @21 December 2003 - 18:57
    I&#39;d be very surprised if this forum actually has more than 500 members.

It might look real impressive having that number down there but how many have ever logged in more than once or twice?

Look at the online stats, average 100 users online. Best we ever saw was 400 and I think that was due to darker redirecting traffic here.

Even if you used an extremely conservative estimate of 2% of members online at any one time, you&#39;re looking at a total real membership of 5000.

The server load excuse just doesn&#39;t fly the same now does it?

I have to agree with balamm on this one.
    The number of members has nothing to do with the server load when (for instance) changing usernames. It is the number of posts that causes the excess load - and we have a lot of posts.

I&#39;m surprised that someone so 1337 as Balamm didn&#39;t know that. [/b][/quote]
    That is not what you were saying earlier Liam.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by bigboab+21 December 2003 - 23:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab &#064; 21 December 2003 - 23:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@22 December 2003 - 00:31
    The number of members has nothing to do with the server load when (for instance) changing usernames. It is the number of posts that causes the excess load - and we have a lot of posts.

I&#39;m surprised that someone so 1337 as Balamm didn&#39;t know that.
    That is not what you were saying earlier Liam. [/b][/quote]
    Yes it is. I never said explicitly that the number of members affects the script executions. However, a high number of members means a high number of posts.

I quoted both statistics to highlight the differences between the forums which were erroneously being compared.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    I am sorry I think I am losing the plot here. Did you not say to Jonno that because you had a higher membership that affected the changing of usernames? Or words to that effect.

As far as I am led to believe changing usernames is just a matter of changing the variable content in a users record. If the database was dynamically set up then it does not matter what the size of the database is, you would almost instantly access and change that users name. This would have absolutely no effect on the rest of the database as it uses the same variable to access that information.

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@21 December 2003 - 17:31

I see your attitude hasn&#39;t improved at all.

Grow up Liam, you said what you said.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by balamm+21 December 2003 - 23:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balamm @ 21 December 2003 - 23:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@21 December 2003 - 17:31

Grow up Liam, you said what you said. [/b][/quote]
    At least I don&#39;t hide behind other accounts and post people&#39;s IPs in a pathetic attempt to worry them.

Would you like some help admitting you&#39;re wrong btw? You seem to find it rather difficult.

Bigboab: I only mentioned memberships when comparing the sizes of the forums. I was making the point that what is true for Jonno&#39;s (small) forum would not apply to this (huge) forum.

In the particular case of a username change, the number of posts is a major factor in server load, as detailed previously in this thread. You may ask 7thElement if you don&#39;t believe me. Darker used to have a pinned topic which included this info but I can&#39;t find it.

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Originally posted by Lamsey+22 December 2003 - 01:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 22 December 2003 - 01:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by balamm@21 December 2003 - 23:49
    <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey
    @21 December 2003 - 17:31

Grow up Liam, you said what you said.
    At least I don&#39;t hide behind other accounts and post people&#39;s IPs in a pathetic attempt to worry them.

Would you like some help admitting you&#39;re wrong btw? You seem to find it rather difficult.

Bigboab: I only mentioned memberships when comparing the sizes of the forums. I was making the point that what is true for Jonno&#39;s (small) forum would not apply to this (huge) forum.

In the particular case of a username change, the number of posts is a major factor in server load, as detailed previously in this thread. You may ask 7thElement if you don&#39;t believe me. Darker used to have a pinned topic which included this info but I can&#39;t find it. [/b][/quote]
    I dont need to ask 7th Element or any other bloody element the facts are the facts. The subject was changing user names. The size of the database does not matter if it is dynamically set up. The dicussion was with Jonno was about changing user names and nothing else. I kept out of the original posting because I dont believe in arguing with students in public. But you have continued the same thing with Balamm. Just say &#39;I made a mistake&#39; and lets all forget about it.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Me
    The "username change" script searches through every single post and makes alterations as necessary. On a board this huge, that takes a lot of server time.

During busy periods, that can bring the server to its knees, resulting in downtime. However with the dedicated servers that we have, we can get away with it in quiet periods. So the admins will be happy to change names - but would much prefer if you asked at a time when the board is quiet.

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Originally posted by Lamsey+22 December 2003 - 01:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 22 December 2003 - 01:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Me
    The "username change" script searches through every single post and makes alterations as necessary. On a board this huge, that takes a lot of server time.

During busy periods, that can bring the server to its knees, resulting in downtime. However with the dedicated servers that we have, we can get away with it in quiet periods. So the admins will be happy to change names - but would much prefer if you asked at a time when the board is quiet.
    [/b][/quote]
    I suggest you see your lecturer when you return to the Uni and he/she will explain the error of your ways.

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by bigboab+22 December 2003 - 00:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab @ 22 December 2003 - 00:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Lamsey@22 December 2003 - 01:16
    <!--QuoteBegin-Me

I suggest you see your lecturer when you return to the Uni and he/she will explain the error of your ways. [/b][/quote]
    If you&#39;re that certain, why not tell me yourself? If not, which lecturer should I see?

I&#39;m going on what has been posted by the man who used to host this forum, and whose main job is in Internet Hosting. Seems like a good source to me.

Remember that what you may know about mySQL or PHP may not fully apply to the IPB system; it is set up in such a way that it is very unsuitable for big boards like this (example above); we have considered moving to phpBB before, but the loss of some features wouldn&#39;t be good.

Thankfully, 7thElement has some brilliant servers, one of which is completely dedicated to this board. Which is why we&#39;re still online with IPB.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    The way you are describing the system Liam it woud not last two minutes. Are you telling me that every time I change my Avator it goes through every single post that I make and changes that avator?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast