Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Should I Kill Myself?

Knowledge is Power
    I've seen invision boards much larger than this one running smoothly... just to cite neowin, it's an impressive community, really big... runs with no problems.

My forum is nowhere as big, but we have a good 140.000 posts... no problems on this end with invision.

2. Lounge   -   #52
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by bigboab@22 December 2003 - 00:28
    The way you are describing the system Liam it woud not last two minutes. Are you telling me that every time I change my Avator it goes through every single post that I make and changes that avator?
    No, because the avatar link is a dynamic variable of the type you described. However, the username change doesn't work like that.

Darker never specified exactly what it updates, but I assume it updates QUOTE tags to reflect the correct name. And it has to search every post.

And yes - two minutes might be right. If there wasn't at least a hundred other members trying to post, search, move topics, etc. at the same time. And even two minutes downtime is too much inconvenience for just a name change.

3. Lounge   -   #53
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Nimdock@22 December 2003 - 01:31
    I've seen invision boards much larger than this one running smoothly... just to cite neowin, it's an impressive community, really big... runs with no problems.

My forum is nowhere as big, but we have a good 140.000 posts... no problems on this end with invision.
    We are not talking about how well the board runs Nim. It is how it works.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Lounge   -   #54
    Knowledge is Power
    Yes, I know what the discussion is here, however is was mentioned that invision software doesn't respond very well, I'm noting that my personal experience is different.

5. Lounge   -   #55
    Poster
    Wrong about what? That you don't have a clue what you're talking about and you won't admit it?

You jump into some pretty ill informed conclusions at times.

The IP thing for example ??
    Unless you are refering to me closing down internet.news and his k-lite clone. I haven't posted his IP at all.

6. Lounge   -   #56
    Ex-member
    You know exactly what I'm talking about.

7. Lounge   -   #57
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Balamm does a Moderator have access to scripts?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. Lounge   -   #58
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by bigboab@22 December 2003 - 00:40
    Balamm does a Moderator have access to scripts?
    No, they don't. they can probably view the source of those they have access to, but that's all.

9. Lounge   -   #59
    Poster
    No, they don't have access to sweet f**k all.

Most of it is bluff and conjecture.

They can manage posts, move them, delete them, split them etc. , and they have minimal control over who posts.

10. Lounge   -   #60
    If it goes through all the posts correcting names in quotes and the like, then that seems pretty daft, I would really think it would make so much more sense just making a tiny change in the database variable holding the name. After all the name in the quote boxes doesn't seem to be dynamic, as you can tell whenever you edit a quote you've made. Is it not possible Darker made a mistake on this one?

Oh and calm down ladies, or is it handbags at dawn?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast