Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows 2000

Poster
    You grabbed the win2k pro did you? I think if you want, I can setup a link for win2k advanced server in a week or 2, or talk to shn and see if she can give you a copy a bit sooner.
    It's a lot more advanced for some of the things you're doing and better security too.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    BANNED
    Cheers balamm ,no this one"Windows_2000_SP4-4in1_MultiBoot(Professional-Server-Advanced_Server-Datacenter_Server)-VLM"
    There was no nfo!,so i went searching for a while for a key,in the end i just chucked advanced server on,as you do mate with it setting there.Luckly it never ask for a key,it installed ok thou no probs.But..after i'd finished installing everything,devices,drivers etc..on boot up it kept giving me an err msg"aleast one service or driver failed on start up,see event viewer".I had a little miss around,no joy so i put win2k pro back until my card comes(which could be today,hopefully!.I'll do everything clean then.I may even bin that burner,anything not working or going my way i cant help myself,i have to fiddle.

Cheers mate.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    What probably happened with the service error was, some services shouldn't be installed untill your domain info is registered.

http://bob-kz4d88:2462 or whatever just won't cut it cause it's not in any DNS records.
    even http://localhost won't always work.

You need to specify a valid domain name, a valid IP, and a few other things to make it all work. It's best to install only IIS at first and then after startup, go back and add other services one at a time and configure each, restart, and check your results. Then try with the next.

I made that mistake at first too, thinking more is better. Nope

Oh and be carefull installing DNS. I had it going the first time and crashed the entire gateway. The last time I ran it, I had 2 provinces using me as their DNS server Kinda kills the bandwidth a bit!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123