Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Earthstationv

Poster
    Originally posted by puremindmatters@12 March 2003 - 13:49
    I'm testing it right now, and it does seem to be very buggy - but hell, it's a beta, what do you expect.
    I got speeds last night which were incredible in the true sense of the word (150K with a 768k line) but some errors prevented the downloads from completion, and they disappeared without a trace (it attempted to use multiple sources and failed miserably).
    I gave it another shot today and had mediocre speeds (around 50K) but at least the two movies I downloaded were completed and error free.
    Since they were single source http pulls, I would have been surprised if it was any different.

I don't think I am ready to judge it yet, since it is a beta, and since no real average sized network with 1,000,000 or more users exists to run a meaningful test. Money doesn't seem to be much of an issue for them at the moment, and they are indeed planning to expand their already pretty impressive server array.

I think they stirred up a lot of hype and suspicion at the same time, and so far neither of them seem to be justified. If you are curious, you should check it out, but if you want to see the real performance you'd better wait until they release a bug-free version and have all of their servers up and squeezed by more users than a handful of beta testers.
    you can get these speeds on kazaa.
    so what?
    it ain't worth wastin your time it will never be bigger than fastrack therefore never have as many files.

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    True... I had 90-95KB/s on Kazaa, but never for a single file. And as I said before, I have problems believing that the 150KB were real.
    The only thing which makes it interesting for me is the single source constant download from beginning to end, which means of course less errors. Don't get me wrong - I'm far from being convinced that this will work at all, if/when they get more traffic. I just got very curious when I read some threads in ZP, and right now there simply isn't enough material on there which would induce me to extend my tests. I got three movies which I probably wouldn't even have looked for on Kazaa, so it wasn't exactly wasting my time and at least I know roughly what all these flame wars were about.

@JmiF yeah, you are probably right - I read quite a lot on ZP, and most of their answers as to where the money is supposed to come from were extremely evasive and hazy. All I can say for certain is that there is no spyware or any known trojan included in the beta, that might be add-ons they reserve for the proper release.

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    I dont think i will be downloading this it seems to have a bad read up looking at these posts

I will come back when it's past it's beta trial

And there are a few more better quotes

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    damn this program is buggy had to disable zonealarm, to config from auto to firewall.

I think the person who designed the interface must have been a star trek fan with commands like
    "make it so" plus this program has as many holes as a star trek epsoide.

worse beta ever tried and the speeds on 56k are about the same as on k-lite.

by the way does anybody know who's actually running this?

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    Poster
    Originally posted by junkyardking@13 March 2003 - 12:13
    damn this program is buggy had to disable zonealarm, to config from auto to firewall.

Could you explain the above. Do you have a firewall running. Have you allowed this software to bypass it.

Very interested.

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    Originally posted by junkyardking@13 March 2003 - 12:13

I think the person who designed the interface must have been a star trek fan with commands like

by the way does anybody know who's actually running this?

I'm running ZPpro, and didn't have to disable it.

All Star Trek fans who have tried this beta will disagree with you - the episodes are infinitely more consistent than this program.

If you haven't tried that yet, you will have a nightmare de-installing it. It keeps on claiming that it is still running, even if you shut it down and closed all processes. I had to do it the rough way - deleting it manually and using regcleaner. Watch out for an entry for excalibur. It's associated with es5.

On a closing note, I had three successful downloads out of 7 attempts. I don't think they are going to release anything other than more betas any time soon.

7. File Sharing   -   #47
    Poster
    Originally posted by puremindmatters+13 March 2003 - 15:18--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (puremindmatters @ 13 March 2003 - 15:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--junkyardking@13 March 2003 - 12:13

by the way does anybody know who&#39;s actually running this?

I&#39;m running ZPpro, and didn&#39;t have to disable it.

All Star Trek fans who have tried this beta will disagree with you - the episodes are infinitely more consistent than this program.

If you haven&#39;t tried that yet, you will have a nightmare de-installing it. It keeps on claiming that it is still running, even if you shut it down and closed all processes. I had to do it the rough way - deleting it manually and using regcleaner. Watch out for an entry for excalibur. It&#39;s associated with es5.

On a closing note, I had three successful downloads out of 7 attempts. I don&#39;t think they are going to release anything other than more betas any time soon. [/b][/quote]
    Current verdict, words of one syl, that man.

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    i dont use zonealarm pro with kazza lite, just doesnt work i left the basic free version on when i tried earthstation first it tried to activate and go thought the file wall and generated a error in user.dat file even after giving it both access and server, turned of firewall then it worked so i changed it from auto to firewall and restarted the computer.

It worked behind the filewall but even when i did&#39;nt run it, my sytem was so slow and there was the ocassional error poping up, i then manually uninstall it and used regclean to rid it from my system and my system was good again.

I disagree star trek is full off holes, just like this beta program it&#39;s more like an alpha.

One more thing i have noticed for awhile now, companys are releasing betas as fully fleged programs and they expect you pay for it .

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    jetje's Avatar former star
    a nice bump, for the memories

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345