Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What If Saddam Was Set Free?

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    here is a terrible scenario, but what would the US and indeed the worlds reaction be if Saddam was tried in an Iraqi court and found innocent ? ( i don't think he is )
    would the world be able to accept that verdict from the people he is supposed to have comitted these crimes against ? and further what would the reaction be if he stood in the democratic elections and was voted into power?.

this question is designed to encourage intelligent debate and not ill thought out personal attacks on any other persons opinions. read the question properly before answering please, i know most people do but there is always someone that goes way off mark

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    I think it highly unlikely, however you do post the question.

If he were to be found not guilty of offences in Iraq, under Iraqi law, then the international community would have to accept that. There is absolutely no way that we can say he should be tried by the people of Iraq and then not accept their verdict.

However if he were found not guilty of offences in Iraq, there may be other offence of an international nature which he would have to stand trial for, in front of an International Tribunal. That would really depend on what offences he was tried for under Iraqi law and the scope of those offences. It would be impossible to answer that unless one knew on what charges he had been found not guilty.

We do not know the form any new Iraqi political system will take. However I suspect that anyone standing accused, as he will be would not be able to stand. If he has stood trial and been found not guilty, by the people of Iraq and the International community, then he should be allowed to stand for election and be elected. I see no reasonable alternative to that.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    Well, I think that the only good reason for this war was to free the Iraqis. The WMD was obviously bullshit, and Sadam had nothing to do with 9/11. If Sadam was freed and actually elected president of Iraq, then it would show that they didn't want to be freed and the entire war would have been pointless. My hatred of Bush would go up and that's about it.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    I wasn't for the war, but there is no way in hell he would be set free. He would be lucky if they don't kill him, or cut his arm, or dick off or what ever kind punshiment they have in those parts.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    He would end up like Dodi Fayed.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    if he was found not guilty, the international courts would decide to try him and find him guilty

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    I still think he will have an unfortunate accident before the trials even start.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    If he is set free....
    then he is innocent
    then he can start sueing America
    and claim payback for all damages inflicted on him, the country and the people.
    I guess then Bush will have to "captured"

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Originally posted by Zedaxax@24 December 2003 - 12:19
    If he is set free....
    then he is innocent
    then he can start sueing America
    and claim payback for all damages inflicted on him, the country and the people.
    I guess then Bush will have to "captured"
    By who ? Tony Blair.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Mr AnDy D's Avatar Poster
    iraqi's hate him...if he was set free I would kick george bush in the balls!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast