Thread: Messenger

i know this has been discussed before, but what does Messenger do? i see that it is running when i went to Services under administrator tools. do i need it? how do i disable it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Yes you do need it; leave it alone.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Smurfette@24 December 2003 - 20:02
    no, you don't need it

disable it through services (go to run and type "services.msc" then disable messenger (right click>stop))
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by Smurfette@24 December 2003 - 16:02
    its bad mmmk

check out http://www.blackviper.com for a slew of useless services you should turn off

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    My mistake - I thought messenger was more important than that.
    Never mind, it&#39;s handy to be able to pop up messages on the kids&#39; puters rather than having to walk all the way upstairs to do it.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by Smurfette@24 December 2003 - 20:27
    My mistake - I thought messenger was more important than that.
    Never mind, it&#39;s handy to be able to pop up messages on the kids&#39; puters rather than having to walk all the way upstairs to do it.
    yeah, it is...

just ask Mrs Lamsey :-"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    So many users whine consistently regarding Windows Messenger and yet praise MSN Messenger as if it were some damn life-saving device. I cannot recall the number of users who wish it were disabled in favor of another IM service.

Why? In all honesty, I really do not see the problems or reasons why MSN Messenger is that more preferrable than XP&#39;s native IM application. Personally, I like it and find it quite useful. I love the way version 4.7 links or integrates directly to your hotmail box. Or for Outlook Express- you can always tell who is online/available without ever having to browse a list.

I suppose that I do not know what there is about it that makes people dislike it or prefer MSN.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    muchspl2
    messenger and msn or two completely different things
    one was a vulnerability left by xp the other is a IM program (with its own security risk)