Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Replacing My Hsf

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by clocker@28 December 2003 - 15:23
    Check the base of your HS by running your fingernail across it.
    If it doesn't feel absolutely smooth then it should be lapped.

Basically what they are talking about is sanding it...typically using very fine wet/dry paper on a piece of glass.
    That's not really lapping, but it's what they mean....
    wat's the point of making it not smooth? i'm just wondering. and btw, i've decided to get the aero 4. after reading some reviews, they aero 4 cools better than the tt spark 7, and is quieter. so far, i've found $24 for the aero 4. anything lower than htat?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #42
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+28 December 2003 - 13:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 28 December 2003 - 13:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by GCNaddict@28 December 2003 - 14:16
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@28 December 2003 - 19:13
    <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power
    @28 December 2003 - 11:15
    my temps are at 40C idle&#33; wtf&#33; i havn&#39;t oced anything either

My Beast now &#036;666 USD P4 2.4c @ 2.6
    If you say that is&#39;t not overclocked then why does your sig say that?

cuz hes lying&#33;&#33;&#33; oh well, his sig only sez its overclocked by 200mhz so lying now isnt that bad (lqtms)
    i meant nothing further than wat i had b4 (2.6) [/b][/quote]
    Oh&#33; So let me get this right...Your normally overclocked CPU isn&#39;t overclocked anymore because it&#39;s been that way for a while now?

Hmm, your logic is just awesome.

No wonder I can&#39;t understand you.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #43
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@28 December 2003 - 15:33

wat&#39;s the point of making it not smooth? i&#39;m just wondering. and btw, i&#39;ve decided to get the aero 4. after reading some reviews, they aero 4 cools better than the tt spark 7, and is quieter. so far, i&#39;ve found &#036;24 for the aero 4. anything lower than htat?
    Abu, imagine a heatsink with .5 inch deep ridges on them.

That would probably effect the cooling wouldnt they? Well, thats because any ridge on the heatsink base will prevent the heatsink from having the maximum amount of it touch the processor. Thus, it is able to transfer less heat from the processor. Lapping insures a perfect and maxiumum contact with the processor. Of course, Thermal grease, or paste, help to do this as well.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #44
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+28 December 2003 - 16:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 28 December 2003 - 16:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@28 December 2003 - 15:33

wat&#39;s the point of making it not smooth? i&#39;m just wondering. and btw, i&#39;ve decided to get the aero 4. after reading some reviews, they aero 4 cools better than the tt spark 7, and is quieter. so far, i&#39;ve found &#036;24 for the aero 4. anything lower than htat?
    Abu, imagine a heatsink with .5 inch deep ridges on them.

That would probably effect the cooling wouldnt they? Well, thats because any ridge on the heatsink base will prevent the heatsink from having the maximum amount of it touch the processor. Thus, it is able to transfer less heat from the processor. Lapping insures a perfect and maxiumum contact with the processor. Of course, Thermal grease, or paste, help to do this as well. [/b][/quote]
    so a smooth hs base is bad? wouldn&#39;t a smooth base have more contact with the chip?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #45
    would i be able to mount a 80mm vantec tornado on my current hs? is there a way for me to take off the current fan? looks kinda secure to me

6. Software & Hardware   -   #46
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Yes, but you would have to build your own custom fan adaptor.

http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=31516&hl=

7. Software & Hardware   -   #47
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@28 December 2003 - 23:00
    is there a way for me to take off the current fan? looks kinda secure to me

Yeah, its pretty easy, just lossen the black clamps on the side on the heatsink, and remove that, then all you have to do is just pull the fan assembly out.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #48
    after i do that, do i still put the black clamp things back onto the hs?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #49
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@28 December 2003 - 23:12

yea. i noticed that back when u 1st posted it. i don&#39;t have any metal though. and if i can just put the fan in withouth the adapter, that would work. plus, the hsf was originally 80mm. i&#39;ll try it with one of my case fans 1st. another q. if i pull those clamps and remove the hsf, will i be able to put them back? i don&#39;t have any grease with me

10. Software & Hardware   -   #50
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+28 December 2003 - 23:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 28 December 2003 - 23:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@28 December 2003 - 23:12

yea. i noticed that back when u 1st posted it. i don&#39;t have any metal though. and if i can just put the fan in withouth the adapter, that would work. plus, the hsf was originally 80mm. i&#39;ll try it with one of my case fans 1st. another q. if i pull those clamps and remove the hsf, will i be able to put them back? i don&#39;t have any grease with me [/b][/quote]
    You probably wont find many 80MM fans that are better the then stock one, for specfically cooling the processor. Atleast, not normal case ones. Also, your clamps, which are needed to clamp the stock HS/F to the assembly on the mobo, are special, so unless you can get the fan to be held down SECURELY with those clamps, your going to be out of luck using the HS.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast