Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare Cpu Time

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by jaigandhi5@25 December 2003 - 13:31
    thx Livy u saved me from writing all tht and making a new team
    ill change my team too...

tight on 32 as well lol
    hav fun folding!
    np, i thought i would put it here so it could get seen easyer, credit goes to you for the idea.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    the ppl who are joining come post HERE first and tell us the name u hav put in....

for me... it jaigandhi5

My Blog
    I'm still here.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    both mine are under the name Livy, and running the now, not completed a WU yet, but soon...

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    Originally posted by Livy@25 December 2003 - 14:37
    both mine are under the name Livy, and running the now, not completed a WU yet, but soon...
    how come at the team statistics its not saying anyones name?

My Blog
    I'm still here.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    i also thought tht this is a lil help ful..

__JOHN_LENNON:

1. Doing ANYTHING stresses the life of your processor, but this F@H (Folding @ Home) uses spare CPU cycles, so you dont notice it while your playing BF 1942, or while im playing Halo. But if say you leave your computer for a bit, it will notice the free processor, and pick up the slack.

2. It really doesnt hurt your computer like I said above, I konw people that have this running on no less than 20 machines and have been doing for awhile.

3. Yes, I said 20 MACHINES. People take this very seriously, as over at AMDMB.com.

4. I have been folding for over a year now for the AMDMB.com team, and I think were maybe 5th or 6th world wide. I know from our forums that we have several people like I said with the 20+ Computers running 24/7 just to fold for cancer. (yes the electric bill gets raised a few ticks) I know that also we have taken donation on 4 complete machines, and then given them to people to they can be Folding for the team in the privacy of their own homes. I think were currently taking donations for the 5th one.

5. You guys should all get into this, haha Bigdawg, being about my age I know your parents have asked you around the house at times (whats your computer doing on right now, when your not even infront of it.) Well, atleast now you could say Fighting Cancer Mom! Heh, no but serious guys, every computer can help, even if its just a few work units a month. And we all have Spare CPU Cycles to spare because none of us are maxing out our PC all day. Half the time I have my PC on im just tinkering with some and I have WMP on and Folding @ Home.

6. Now everyone go download the folding at home command Client
    so it does not affect ur gaming

My Blog
    I'm still here.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #16
    from the OC forum TEAM:

What are the system requirements for folding?
    You will need to have the equivalent of a 200MHz Pentium to be able to process the work in time. The time limits for turning in completed work vary depending on the size and complexity of the protein that you are given to work on. NOTE: in some cases users have gotten even slower computers than this to fold and get units on time. The slowest i have seen get units in on time is a P166 mhz. If you think it is too slow to fold, give it a chance, what's that worse that can happen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·  Can I be a dial up user and still use FAH?

Can I be a dial up user and still use FAH?
    Certainly. A 24/7 connection is not required to fold. The client only needs a conncetion to send and recieve work units. So, as a dial up user you can either connect whenever there is a work unit to send manually, or you can configure it to dial automatically (this was covered in part 8 of setup and guides)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·  Is there support for dual processors?

Is there support for dual processors?
    The answer is still no to smp support, but it is possible to run more than one instance of the client. Yes, with the console (text-only) version. The best way to do this now is to install FAH twice in two different directories, and run them with the flag "-local". If two copies of FAH run in the same directory, they will interfere with each other, and will only lead to bad things. IMPORTANT- Make sure that each client has it's own machine ID (covered it part 7 of setup and guides)

·  Will running my computer at 100% 24/7 shorten the life of my computer?

Will running my computer at 100% 24/7 shorten the life of my computer?
    No. Actually processors were/are made to run a 100% load all the time. Computers generally a better left on, with very little temparature fluctuation because as the chip heats up it expands and when you switch it off it contracts, this constant expansion and contraction of the cpu over a long period of time causes it to crack, meaning dead cpu! So if your cpu is well cooled with a good hsf(heatsink and fan) and it is at a constant temp at full load it is actually healthier for the chip!! Besides, you will get more done if you are folding 24/7!!.

·  Is there anyway to speed up my folding times?

Is there anyway to speed up my folding times?
    You can, of course, overclock your computer to make it run faster, but then that's why you're at overclockers.com right? Some motherboards however don't support overclocking but don't worry if you have one of these board there is a shareware program called cpufsb 2.2.6 that makes it possible for you to raise your fsb.

If you have the Text Only version you can set the idle sensitivity for the client by right clicking on the client in the task bar and going to properties. When the window comes up click on the Misc tab. Go to idle sensitivity and slide it all the way over to "Low". This will make the client a little more aggressive with idle cycles.

NOTE: It has always been the rule that raw mhz is what makes you fold faster (whether 1800 is 180x10 or 150x12.) This might soon change though; with the coming of newer and larger and more complex protein that are more dependant on your memory. This is speculation at this point.
    source

My Blog
    I'm still here.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #17
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    folding at home will not affect your pc performance, as it only has idle priority so it doesnt affect any other tasks you try to perform, it only gets what left of the cpu time. so u can game and it shouldnt make any difference

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #18
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    there is nobody on the team yet as no-one will have handed in a WU, so they dont know who is on the team,

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #19
    Originally posted by Livy@25 December 2003 - 14:52
    there is nobody on the team yet as no-one will have handed in a WU, so they dont know who is on the team,
    lol ok

My Blog
    I'm still here.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #20
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I have completed a WU credited to our new team...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast