Thread: What Is Best

Poster
    i have just brought a new dvd combi drive that will write both dvd formats aswell as cd.

i am currently rebuilding/upgrading my pc this is the last piece of the jigsaw before i start to rip out and insert new device's etc.

i currently have a cdrom with a cdrw drive which should i take out. the spec for each drive as follows.

nec
    28x cd rom

hp
    cd read 32x
    write to cd-r 8x
    4x write to cd-rw

( a bit slow i know but does job for me never had any probs at all)

new dvd drive
    4x write to dvd +/-r and to dvd+rw
    2x write to dvd-rw
    40x write to cd-r
    24x write to cd-rw
    12x read dvd
    40x cd rom

what i want to know is which of these other drives would be best to sit above my new dvd drive?

thanks for any advice in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I would have to say remove both.

Install a DVD player instead. That way you can copy DVD to DVD without swapping discs.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@30 December 2003 - 00:14

Install a DVD player instead. That way you can copy DVD to DVD without swapping discs.
    being totally thick here how can i install a dvd player???

do you mean another dvd rom drive only?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by zolaisugly+29 December 2003 - 17:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zolaisugly @ 29 December 2003 - 17:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@30 December 2003 - 00:14

being totally thick here how can i install a dvd player???

do you mean another dvd rom drive only? [/b][/quote]
    Yes, that&#39;s what I mean. A drive that can read DVD media.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@29 December 2003 - 23:14

If you want to copy dvd movies, then in most cases it would impossible to copy from dvd-rom to dvd-writer because most movie disks are greater than 4.38 Gb, so will have to copy onto hard drive first to shrink the size to fit on a dvd-r.

My advice would be to get rid of both cd-rom and cd-writer and just keep the dvd-writer.
    Robert00000

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Robert00000+29 December 2003 - 20:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert00000 @ 29 December 2003 - 20:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@29 December 2003 - 23:14

If you want to copy dvd movies, then in most cases it would impossible to copy from dvd-rom to dvd-writer because most movie disks are greater than 4.38 Gb, so will have to copy onto hard drive first to shrink the size to fit on a dvd-r.

My advice would be to get rid of both cd-rom and cd-writer and just keep the dvd-writer. [/b][/quote]
    This is not true either.

There are some neat software packages that will copy the whole movie and fit it onto the 4.7gig discs.