Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's With The Riaa?

SuperJude™'s Avatar IRC Interloper
    Originally posted by spong (waiting for reg confirmat@18 February 2003 - 20:18
    Metalicca probably have the same thing as a bumper sticker on their Ferraris.
    I will never ever buy any of their products again. We, the loyal fans, bought their albums, tapes and cd's, vids, went to the concerts, bought t-shirts, they got rich and we even suffered their "we're too cool to make vids" phaze.

Then they go and get in on the napster thing and for that I have no respect for them.

I do however download their shit for free, of course, and burn them to cd. Thanks Lars, Kirk and the boys!

-SJ™
    "We Love You SuperJude!"- the fans

2. Music   -   #12
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by SuperJude™+18 February 2003 - 14:20--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SuperJude™ @ 18 February 2003 - 14:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--spong (waiting for reg confirmat@18 February 2003 - 20:18
    Metalicca probably have the same thing as a bumper sticker on their Ferraris.
    I will never ever buy any of their products again. We, the loyal fans, bought their albums, tapes and cd&#39;s, vids, went to the concerts, bought t-shirts, they got rich and we even suffered their "we&#39;re too cool to make vids" phaze.

Then they go and get in on the napster thing and for that I have no respect for them.

I do however download their shit for free, of course, and burn them to cd. Thanks Lars, Kirk and the boys&#33;

-SJ™ [/b][/quote]
    If a band does not want people trading their Music post it on your website or send it to your fanclub through snail mail.That is the reason SoulSeek got shut down there for awhile...a certain band just got signed to a record deal and asked them to take the files down.Did they sue their fans like Metallica did....hell no.Find a way to make the new technology work for the bands starting out...but these bands like Metallica doing what they did was a joke.

3. Music   -   #13
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by SuperJude™@18 February 2003 - 20:20
    We, the loyal fans, bought their albums, tapes and cd&#39;s, vids, went to the concerts, bought t-shirts, they got rich and we even suffered their "we&#39;re too cool to make vids" phaze.
    i never was at a concert from them

but thats because they havent played in vienna for a looong time now (at least I havent noticed it).

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

4. Music   -   #14
    spong still waiting
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@18 February 2003 - 20:25
    If a band does not want people trading their Music post it on your website or send it to your fanclub through snail mail.That is the reason SoulSeek got shut down there for awhile...a certain band just got signed to a record deal and asked them to take the files down.Did they sue their fans like Metallica did....hell no.Find a way to make the new technology work for the bands starting out...but these bands like Metallica doing what they did was a joke.
    Definitely, but personally I&#39;d like the bands / distributors to get off their butts and find a way to do it that we can all be happy with.

Like I said, if I could buy it legally, maybe I would.

I&#39;m not dumb enough to think everybody would do the same, and I&#39;m not passing judgement. It&#39;s just frustrating to have it dangling in front of me (Kazaa), having no alternative (distribution), and to be told &#39;don&#39;t do that&#39;.

Ha - what am I saying. Frustrating hell&#33; I click download . . .

5. Music   -   #15
    natural
    Howdy all. New here - first post, actually. I just want to say that P2P has opened my eyes to a whole load of music that I probably wouldn&#39;t have given a chance. For instance, right now I&#39;m listening to Turbonegro ("Rock Against Ass" kills) and loving them. If I&#39;d seen their album in the record store (given the complete lack of mass-exposure they deserve) I would have passed it by.

The thing is - I couldn&#39;t find all of their songs for download so I&#39;m going to go out and buy their albums to fill the void. If they ever play in my town, I&#39;m there.

The recording industry is afraid because they know they try to sell us crap. If more people get on P2P, then people will realize that Avril Lavigne (I&#39;m sorry to whoever said they like her) and other forms of pablum are just pre-packaged shit spoon-fed to the world.

Once people realize this, the people who tell us what to listen to are out of jobs because they never had an ear for music to begin with. I would do the same thing if I was in their shoes but I&#39;m not, so fuck them.

6. Music   -   #16
    Arrrg well i don&#39;t know about you mateys but most of MY music collection is in the form of CD&#39;s ...... thou they be burned CD&#39;s of music taken off of the interent har har har. The last time i payed for a CD was ummm when i didnt have a CD burner about 4 years ago , since then everything has been free .Also to the person above me who hates popular music , thats fine but there&#39;s no need to bash it , arrrg we who listen to popular music hate your crappy indpenant bands with their ass ugly poor arists... everyone has their own different tastes in music so while you&#39;ve found your GREAT new band many of us like what&#39;s on the radio now , yes some of you will say that you don&#39;t and you HATE it and that&#39;s fine because as i said before different people have different tastes (some things you just have to say twice so they sink in , arrrg some people be thick like de plank ).As for the Riaa they best get their arses in grear before they no longer have an industry to speak of.

And for the person who started this thread the reason they RIAA threathens alot is because its alot easier to threathen then it is to actually sue which can take months and months and months and run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. a threat is free legal action is not.

7. Music   -   #17
    You might find this article interesting:

George Ziemann article

It&#39;s a bit dry reading but he certainly manages to make his point (it&#39;s from last year though)

8. Music   -   #18
    please , what is he smoking , cause it must either be very very pure or really really really impure. I think all of us pirates here know JUST how badly the industsry is hurting .
    arrrg polly says his brain be bigger than george&#39;s

oh and one more thing that REALLY pisses me off , i can&#39;t even get to the RIAA web cite to get their side of the story , i assume its down because as i read a news article people hack attack it all the time . Thats just not cool thou , just because someone doesn&#39;t like what another is saying doesn&#39;t give them the right to completely mute their voice . And for those of you who are now going to say bla bla bla "well man the RIAA mutes our voice&#33;" please remeber that the riaa has to act within the laws , they cannot arbitraily shut down a web cite .

9. Music   -   #19
    Originally posted by daveyjones@27 February 2003 - 06:17
    please , what is he smoking , cause it must either be very very pure or really really really impure. I think all of us pirates here know JUST how badly the industsry is hurting .
    arrrg polly says his brain be bigger than george&#39;s

oh and one more thing that REALLY pisses me off , i can&#39;t even get to the RIAA web cite to get their side of the story , i assume its down because as i read a news article people hack attack it all the time . Thats just not cool thou , just because someone doesn&#39;t like what another is saying doesn&#39;t give them the right to completely mute their voice . And for those of you who are now going to say bla bla bla "well man the RIAA mutes our voice&#33;" please remeber that the riaa has to act within the laws , they cannot arbitraily shut down a web cite .
    Are you referring to me? Well, I&#39;m smoking "Golden Virginia" with no additives. You might or might not have noticed, I didn&#39;t write the article, nor did I publish my opinion about the content. Do you have trouble understanding the figures? Maybe it helps removing the eye-patch (...hoooo a pirate...). Don&#39;t speak for groups which haven&#39;t elected you as their spokesman. B)

10. Music   -   #20
    arrg no i was talking about george , and i should have you know it is CAPTAIN davey jones to you .

Do you use kazza enough? because if you belive that the industry isn&#39;t being effected then perhaps you need to use kazza more .In my state ALONE a company called the warehouse which sells just music CD&#39;s is having to close 12 stores in the state , i doubt that they ever had more than 20 total to begin with. Another thing i&#39;ve noticed the giant retailer FRYs which is a store that sells everything electronic (games music movies hard ware , EVERYTHING AND EVERYTHING) no longer carries software adds in their sunday advertisments , i&#39;ve read those add&#39;s for the last 5 or 6 years and there has always been a new CD section and a new GAME section , but no more , the logical conclsion would be , why waste the space with something that no longer makes money . It&#39;s little sings here and there but i&#39;m starting to see the picture , there is hurt going on . George there would have you belive that the fat lady isn&#39;t even in the building but arrrg i can hear her wreatched voice in the distance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast