Thread: Learning To Program

Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    I want to learn to program, probably with c++ becase i want somethign that is versitile. (if there is better option let me know). The problem is i need a project.

Anyone know what might be usefull and hasn't been done? (i don't want to get to the end of a long, difficult project just to find that someone else has already done what i am doing better. ) I am completly new to programming of any kind, but i want to try something kind of big that will teach me a lot.

Your wish is my command. i will try to make anything that you might use.
    I only licked you for the salt

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Programming! Try Turbo Pascal but it's quite difficult to learn that hobby. After finishing the course you must use it very often so that you'll not forget what you've learned.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    You could try visual basic, its prob. a lot easier to learn.

As for a project something similar will always come along, its better to make something that has the greatest market potential. But thats something you must find out.

Try to create your own operating system like Windows , nah, i'm only joking.
    Robert00000

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Pascal is a great learning language.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Is c++ really that much harder to learn? , Does pascal allow you to do as much?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Chame1eon@26 December 2003 - 09:47
    Does pascal allow you to do as much?
    Yes of course, you'll learn a lot but your eyes will suffer learning programming.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    C++ is a good way to go if you are thinking about it. It is very powerful and used for a variety of projects nowadays. Its not a good idea to start with something unique because as you will see later that many concepts have already been implemented and those that are not programmers wont give you out on a message board like this. They will make them themselves

However think what you are missing and what you need to make your needs easier and make that. It might be unique in a way and helpful and useful to you as you learn along. Give it at least six months before you start thinking about a unique project.

Goodluck!
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Wel thanks for the help. I think I&#39;ll stay with C++

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Chame1eon@26 December 2003 - 19:27
    Wel thanks for the help. I think I&#39;ll stay with C++
    Could try visual C++.
    Robert00000