Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Ultimate Forum Software

Poster
    Originally posted by haxor41789@28 December 2003 - 21:54
    owned by vb
    Yeah, and vBulletin is owned by Invision Power Services.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #12
    h1
    Really? I wholeheartedly agree that vBulletin 2.x sucked ass (especially the ACP) and that Invision Board was better, but this was up until the release of vBulletin 3.

Even the alpha was strong, stable, and fast, and it features some things that IPB doesn't. The product has since moved up through 7 betas, a month-long gamma, and 3 release candidates. The next version will likely be 3.0.0 gold and new customers will be able to download it. The ACP is broken up into sections now, you can exert total control over usergroups, there are now different permission levels for different administrators, etc. vBulletin is also very well coded, being able to handle boards will over 2 million posts well while at the same time effortly serving up threads with over 5000 replies. My only complaint is that the database size can get VERY large if you do not maintain or prune it.

Plus, a lifetime license only costs $160.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by haxor41789@25 January 2004 - 16:11
    Really? I wholeheartedly agree that vBulletin 2.x sucked ass (especially the ACP) and that Invision Board was better, but this was up until the release of vBulletin 3.

Even the alpha was strong, stable, and fast, and it features some things that IPB doesn't. The product has since moved up through 7 betas, a month-long gamma, and 3 release candidates. The next version will likely be 3.0.0 gold and new customers will be able to download it. The ACP is broken up into sections now, you can exert total control over usergroups, there are now different permission levels for different administrators, etc. vBulletin is also very well coded, being able to handle boards will over 2 million posts well while at the same time effortly serving up threads with over 5000 replies. My only complaint is that the database size can get VERY large if you do not maintain or prune it.

Plus, a lifetime license only costs $160.
    Your view are taken into consideration.
    • If you run both IPB and vB why does the performance result in IPB being faster? Less queries, Load time, etc.
    • You can get a trail version of IPB and use it all your life
    • IPB is suffiently coded, thus it can mantain a very large board
    • And yes I have tried vBulletin 3 so don't go as far to call me a hypocrite.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #14
    h1
    If you run both IPB and vB why does the performance result in IPB being faster? Less queries, Load time, etc.
    vBulletin actually has options to reduce queries as much as possible.
    You can get a trail version of IPB and use it all your life
    This is true, and IPS deserves props for that.
    IPB is suffiently coded, thus it can maintain a very large board
    In my experience, while IPB can handle large boards, it cannot do the same with threads. When loading even one page of very large threads, it loads the whole thread into RAM, stressing the server. The same goes for nested quotes.
    And yes I have tried vBulletin 3 so don't go as far to call me a hypocrite.
    I'm not. And I ran IPB on my BBS for a long time until I decided that I had outgrown it. Each to their own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12