Keikan's Avatar ........
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by Keikan@26 December 2003 - 01:52
    Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz Processor
    256 MB PC2100 DDR Memory
    Intel Extreme 3D Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory
    This sounds like the exact specs of those PCs they're giving away free here in the UK.

You have to view advertising for 3 mins every hour though.

I wouldn't dare.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    They dont melt..ive had one for 3 years
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by Smurfette+26 December 2003 - 02:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smurfette @ 26 December 2003 - 02:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bob_the_alien@26 December 2003 - 08:24
    Also many of the HPs, Compaq’s and Emachines that have celeron processors don&#39;t have agp slots on their boards, so If the pc is actually a bought PC, it’s a pretty good chance it doesn&#39;t have one. I work as a PC salesman currently, and unless they configure a system to order, or buy the high end P4 machines we sell, they get no AGP.
    With every person that I sell one too, I&#39;m thinking you fool, you’re getting ripped, sometimes I feel bad about it but mostly I don&#39;t.
    My brother wanted a puter this year and asked me about £500 special offer ones at PC World, so we went along for a butchers; I pointed out the pitfalls to him in-store (like spotting integrated gfx from the connector position, shit peripheral bundles etc.) but it was easy to see he was only taking some points on board.
    I advised him to get the £80 Epson CX3200 &#39;breadmaker&#39; (a great price) and I&#39;d build him something worthwhile; the next night he turned up with his wife after they&#39;d both gone there and decided on the HP version because they &#39;couldn&#39;t find the one I suggested&#39;.
    Never mind, he&#39;s put right now.

My point is that it would be easy to conclude that people with no idea about computers deserve all they get but these are exactly the people that are targeted by places such as PC World and really deserve protection.

Having said that, I&#39;ve made a few bob from the woman down the road since she asked me for a quote a few years ago but opted for a Tiny POS instead. How I laughed when I heard they recommended she re-format the HDD because Windows wouldn&#39;t start and then claimed it would be a fortnight before they could get a &#39;technician&#39; there to save their kids&#39; coursework&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I actually agree with you, I try to help people, and usually try to get them to go with the p4 systems we sell, but most people seem to think I&#39;m just trying to sell an expensive system to them, but really if you&#39;re going to buy a store bought PC, you really should make sure you get something worth owning.

Of course if your not going to game or like many people who come in the store, just want something to get on the internet with, and use for photo storage, and printing, a cheap celeron is good enough.

But you have many people who say they want to game, and do graphic and video editing, and when I start to explain it too them, they just throw me off, as being a pushy salesman. And I am by no means a pushy salesman, I get paid by the hour, I could really care less if they buy or not.

Everyone who wants a computer should just find a friend who is into pcs, and get them to help them build one, It&#39;s easy to do, you can build a better one, and it&#39;s cheaper. Almost everyone knows someone who can help them. Of course if they did I&#39;d be out of a job , but I hate my job so I wouldn&#39;t really care, Hoping I can get a job back as a tech soon, If the economy ever takes off in this part of the world again.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Lol yeah..thats how it is with me. 3 of my friends are wanting new Computers and stuff. And they all know that I just build my new system and they know that I know alot about them, but there parents think sine im only 15 that I know NOTHING about computers...so they always go to a store and get RIPPPPPPP off emachines and shit like that for soo much freaking money and they SUCK.

They think that you have to have like 2 majors in computer tech to know how to build a fucking computer. I had computer illiterates.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@27 December 2003 - 02:11

They think that you have to have like 2 majors in computer tech to know how to build a fucking computer. I had computer illiterates.
    Umm, can you even major twice in the same thing? What would be the point in that?

lol, no but serious, I know how that is Bigdawg.

Anyway, about celerons, their cheap scaled down P4&#39;s. Its their way to advertise high clock speeds, at a cheap price to compete with AMD now. (Well aware this wasnt always a reason to do it.)

But to anyone thinking about getting a celeron DONT DO IT. I remember when I was using my 2.2 Celeron, (122&#036; retail) I benchmarked it, and it was worse on every single benchmark test except text searching, as opposed to an AMD 1700+ (70 dollars then).

Their not worth the retail price you pay for them. Even if you were going to get one to overclock it to hell, get the money ecquivlent of a P4, and overclock it some, u will get better result.

Of course, AMD ownz all.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    A celron is a poor mans Pentium basicaly

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123