Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading

TheDave's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by TNTIcemanTNT@27 December 2003 - 21:01
    Hey guys, Id just thought id share my thoughts with you. My level of english is pretty good, understanding of literature in classtime for exams lands me with A grades all the time..............however I NEVER read in my spare time.
    I can just not force myself to read... I just think of it as such a big waste of time and uninteresting yet, throughout my whole life ive had no spelling problems etc. (which people often associate to lack of reading).
    So was just wondering, any of you guys like NEVER read lol?And not feel the need to?
    other than magazines i never read... until this time of year, when people buy me books i always read em and sometimes enjoy em

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    Originally posted by Lamsey+27 December 2003 - 22:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 27 December 2003 - 22:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hypodermic@27 December 2003 - 20:57
    Sorry Titey? &nbsp; Is it not against the Forum&#39;s rules to attack a Forum Member on a personal level?
    Well, if they give prior permission (or provocation, such as this) then who are we to question it? [/b][/quote]
    i looked at that, but it&#39;s all shite about column widths and such. please sort it into a viewable form my eyes can handle. thanks.

p.s. i find bad spelling, grammar and punctuation annoying as hell.

p.s.s i find not having word installed on your pc and having to type an essay out in word-pad even more annoying. my lecturer wrote i was lazy because all my "i"&#39;s were not "I"&#39;s. I realise this board doesn&#39;t do it automatically either but i am too lazy to edit it in this post.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Just like TNTicemanTNT I read mainly when I have to, for school assignments etc. I read occasionaly for the enjoyment but rarely and other than that I only read the newspaper each day. But I still get reasonably good english marks. I don&#39;t think that having bad grammar, vocabulary etc. is directly due to your attitude on how often you read books.

And I triple checked this post for spelling mistakes&#33;&#33;&#33;

4. Lounge   -   #44
    on topic, i read at least 2 papers every day, quality ones (record and mirror), i also read a book a week on the bus to uni. and also read 3 music magazines a weekend at work - Kerrang, Q and Mojo - sometimes bang.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Spider_dude+28 December 2003 - 01:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spider_dude @ 28 December 2003 - 01:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Lamsey@27 December 2003 - 22:00
    <!--QuoteBegin-hypodermic
    @27 December 2003 - 20:57
    Sorry Titey? Is it not against the Forum&#39;s rules to attack a Forum Member on a personal level?

Well, if they give prior permission (or provocation, such as this) then who are we to question it?
    i looked at that, but it&#39;s all shite about column widths and such. please sort it into a viewable form my eyes can handle. thanks. [/b][/quote]
    http://klboard.ath.cx/?showtopic=57671

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Poster
    Interesting responses, good to hear your views. I do think it is true that it is possible to gain good english marks without reading immensely.
    For example for my A" history Exam, I had to research about Ferdinand and Isabella: Catholic Monarchs , and that involved alot of reading, but I did it because I &#39;had&#39; to in order to achive good marks to get to Uni.
    Other than that, I cant bare to pick up a book lol.
    Magazines are good, but I suppose that is because the writing is bigger and lotsa pics.
    I can also read alot off the web lol, this suggests that I like reading personal views but hate novels.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Originally posted by Lamsey+28 December 2003 - 12:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 28 December 2003 - 12:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Spider_dude@28 December 2003 - 01:11
    Originally posted by Lamsey@27 December 2003 - 22:00
    <!--QuoteBegin-hypodermic
    @27 December 2003 - 20:57
    Sorry Titey? Is it not against the Forum&#39;s rules to attack a Forum Member on a personal level?

Well, if they give prior permission (or provocation, such as this) then who are we to question it?

i looked at that, but it&#39;s all shite about column widths and such. please sort it into a viewable form my eyes can handle. thanks.
    http://klboard.ath.cx/?showtopic=57671 [/b][/quote]
    thanks, i will link him to that when he asks to come back.

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Originally posted by TNTIcemanTNT@28 December 2003 - 13:40
    Interesting responses, good to hear your views. I do think it is true that it is possible to gain good english marks without reading immensely.
    For example for my A" history Exam, I had to research about Ferdinand and Isabella: Catholic Monarchs , and that involved alot of reading, but I did it because I &#39;had&#39; to in order to achive good marks to get to Uni.
    Other than that, I cant bare to pick up a book lol.
    Magazines are good, but I suppose that is because the writing is bigger and lotsa pics.
    I can also read alot off the web lol, this suggests that I like reading personal views but hate novels.
    i didn&#39;t read much at all reaaly while at school, i am excluding all that point horror shite. however my marks were generally good. i believe ability to spell correctly and adhere to correct grammar goes down to a persons character and intelligence rather than having it drilled into them at school.

i remember at school doing a spelling classwork excercise, where you write a word on a bit of paper, then fold the paper into 6 bits and each time fold it over and write it again, then again, till you have it written 6 times. i used to cheat on that.

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Spider, TNT, in no way this is meant to offend you, I am just pointing something out.

In se there is nothing wrong with the use of your grammar, but when you write a post it is often constructed as spoken English. TNT hardly ever uses paragraphs apostrophes or a capital letter when referring to the first person singular.
    Spider does the same thing, does use paragraphs but has a weird way of putting his punctuation.

People who read, like Liam, J&#39;Pol, clocker, pay much more attention to that, and I think that they don&#39;t even have to think about it anymore, it&#39;s an automatism.

A post well constructed with a little attention for image, punctuation, etc...is much nicer to read. Especially for people who aren&#39;t used to reading English that much.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    skweeky, i do type like i post. My constructive use of punctuation is intended to stress some points without the use of smileys (which i fucking hate).
    I will try and type better in the queens english if you like, but if you can understand my posts, which i believe there is a greater chance of than some on this board, i will keep posting in a similar fashion. I will never knowingly post a typo, if i see it i will change and i will try and explain some of my scottish colloquialisms i use in my posts.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast