Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: System Restart

BANNED
    Originally posted by balamm@28 December 2003 - 02:09
    You've disabled the auto restart on critical error feature. Now what was the critical error? Improper bios setting? Bad ram? excessive CPU heat?

I guess since you figure it's fixed, you'll find out in a few days or weeks when your computer no longer responds.

Please let us know then, what it was that killed your system.
    thx balamm...

btw bigdawg.... auto-restart just disables auto-restarting...it doesnt fix SHIT....

once you get the "critical error" to push in, you get a blue-screen that tells you what the error is..... as balamm said

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Yeah..well I duno but it happended on my old dell...i turned that off and its worked perfect for 3 years. I dont think I can handle my system restarting all the damn time and my bios and temps are perfect.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by DWk@28 December 2003 - 10:46
    btw bigdawg.... auto-restart just disables auto-restarting...it doesnt fix SHIT....
    that's true. When you first bulid a computer and it restarts like that its usually a hardware problem.

Its always best to check everything is connected properly on the motherboard and there are no conflicts.

When a system gradually developes a prob. like this after working perfect well for a while, then its likely to be a driver issue (from my exerience).
    Robert00000

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Could be as simple as re seating all your cards and memory sticks worked for me

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    do you mean reset? or reseat as in in diff slots..cuz i cant im in dual channel...with Mushkin PC3200 2X256MB 2-2-2-5

Also sometimes when I run the burn in test on sisoftsandra, sometimes it goes through all 5 rounds FINE..other times it stops in the first round and says my mainboard temperature is like 400 degress haha....but when i look on my monitoring software it never went up..so that must be a software prob..it did that on my old system too.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Monitoring software? You don't rely on that I hope?

Get into Bios and see what PC health says. No doubt you have already severely damaged something.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    dude my pc health is fine..

cpu at 33 and mobo at 23

i have an asus and am not a dumbass..its asus probe...im pretty sure its acurate, came with my board.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    I agree too, Probe 2.16.08 works great as far as my P4S533 system is concerned. Though it's not really the accuracy of the latest PC Probe you need to wonder about it seems, but instead the internal thermal diode accuracy of the CPU. I just did the calibration tests today found here, and by my admittedly conservative calculations, my CPU reads 4C too high!
    I have the same readings, 10 degrees C lower in Asus Probe than what is shown in the BIOS. I haven't found any solutions for the problem, or found out which one is right. I the interim I have set my max CPU temp in Asus Probe to 55 degrees C. By doing that it will shut down the system should the CPU reach 65C in the BIOS. Not much of a fix but it will save a few bucks by preventing a crispy CPU.
    My system temp always remains 40C.. I dont think its a bad figure. And i have two OS..Xp and 98se..Each with Asus probe installed, but each of them gives me different readings...98se says 59~63C where as Xp says 45~46C...I checked with BIOS, I think its likely 55+C. Which of these do u think its correct? I dont think BIOS will be wrong rite?

Although it does give you an accurate reading of the heatsink temperature, it does not tell you how hot your chip really is
    This kind of thing seems to be true of most manufacturers software.

Carry on then if you think it's wise.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    thanks for those links, that changes my mind. He says it shows the temp of the HS...but isnt the probe in the socket and actually on the cpu almost? lol...My Bios reading are the same as asus probe says...my cpu is at 35 it says..so i think its pretty acurate. What could I do to see what this stop error is?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    Do you have your event viewer configured to record everything? It should say something about "the previous system shutdown was unexpected; code= "

or, "the system has recovered...... " and a code.

Another thing to try is change the "stop on" settings in bios. If it's "all but keyboard", try changing that around a bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast