Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Make The Ultimate Sacrifice?

Imagine the situation. (Apologies if any of you have been close to this situation previously).

Someone you love is very ill. For the thread's sake we won't be specific, but we'll take it as an illness that can be somewhat reversed with the help of an organ transplant.

Depending on how much you love the person, would you sacrifice your own health in order to help them? Taking this to the extreme - would you sacrifice your own life in order to save them?

This is a scary thought for myself, as i've stated previously in other posts i don't really believe in God et al, and consequently i don't believe in the afterlife. This means that to me, this is the only life i will ever have, and it is precious to me.

Personally, i could donate an organ only for family i really love (parents, siblings, grandparents etc) , and a select few friends i regard as close to me as a brother or a sister. This would result in less than perfect health for myself, but it would be worth it so that the person i love could live a more normal life.

I think i could only make the ultimate sacrifice for my sister, or the children i plan to have in the future. I'd be the first to admit it wouldn't be easy though, even for someone as close to me as that (see above about this being the only life i'll get to enjoy). I love my parents and grandparents as much as i love my sister, but i don't think they would let me do it, as they have lived a much longer life than myself. I think this would also figure into my decision if i had to make it.

And to wander off slightly, although i could never be certain until i was in the situation myself, i think this all changes when it is a "spur of the moment" thing such as a fire, or when someone is drowning. I think you could risk your life without much thought if someone you knew and loved was in immediate danger.

This has been an attempt to make a serious thread. You may not like it, but if this is the case, just ignore it please.

the_faceman.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    i hope i would be able to should the ability and need arise.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i havent got kids. i would gladly give up an organ if someone needs it, but if its a choice of my life or someone elses. i'd keep mine even if its someone i love i'd get over it

4. Lounge   -   #4
    that's a fair view.

I think people underestimate how precious their own life is sometimes.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    it depends a lot on your state of mind at the time. People make rash moves when in a painful state of mind.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    but then again i suppose it depends on potential of a person. cos a life does have material value whether people admit it or not. for instance if someone in my family had the potential to change the world and i didnt have anything going for me, cos many peoples lives could be made better.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    I would for the type of people who will do good to the world no questions asked. It would have to be for people I know though, family and friends, whether I could do the same for a stranger is a different issue to me, and I would have to think long and hard about it.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Honey's Avatar unbreakable
    A very interesting thread it is too faceman...

I'll respond from a completely different angle...

I will have to have a liver transplant sometime in the next 2 - 10 years.
    Australia has changed its laws now only allowing transplants from cadavers because in 2 liver transplants out of the 200+ that have been carried out the donor has suffered complications and died.

I've had offers from my mum, dad, brother, sister, nephew, cousins... and my children that they would willingly give me 60% of their livers (thats the transplant amount), no matter what the risk if they are compatible. I don't know (even if it was possible here) if I could allow them to take that risk for me.

And yet for them their only concern is making sure I stick around.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd make the same offer to them. Without reservation, without a thought for possible repercussions.

I think if you love someone enough, you don't tend to think of "what if's".. you just want to help.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    that's a shame about the law. Only 2 failures out of 200+ seems like a good success rate for any operation. People know the risks, it should be up to them to make the decision.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Honey's Avatar unbreakable
    You're right that the people involved should ultimately make the decision for or against.

But, for me I couldn't accept that there was any possibility that any of my loved ones would suffer complications and die. I just couldn't let them take that risk no matter their decision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast