Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Make The Ultimate Sacrifice?

mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Finally!....a thread with relevance and substance on a topic that may touch all of us at sometime in our lives, whether as an organ or tissue donor or as a recipient. Especially as medicine progresses and perfects the organ transplantation process.

here is an FAQ I Googled that answers many questions regarding organ donations.

Personally, I am prepared to help save the life of any family member, close friend or perhaps someone I don't even know....depends on the critical circumstances at that time and whether all other avenues have been exhausted.

In most States (perhaps all?) here in the U.S. you can attach authorization to your driver's license or fill out an Organ Donor Card that in the event of an accident that may take your life, you give permission for removal of certain organs or tissues for transplant (time of course being of the essence in this case).

It's important to keep the following in mind if you are opposed to the idea of transplanting your own organs....family members may donate organs and tissues of a deceased relative if there is no indication the deceased was opposed to such a donation. Therefore, it is important to document your wishes concerning organ donation.

FYI....transplantable organs include the heart, kidneys, pancreas, lungs, liver and intestines as well as bone marrow.. Tissue that can be donated include the eyes, skin, bone, heart valves and tendons.

Thanks to the_faceman for the thread.

mrlessk

2. Lounge   -   #12
    we have Donor Cards in the UK too, but i haven't seen any publicity for them like i did a few years back. I don't know why that is actually.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    they were trying to get a law in place in the uk where you would have to carry a non-donor card to not want your organs donated to avoid donating them. i think it was thrown out on human rights shites. slightly offtopic, i used to know a girl at uni who had a necro-card, it said i am willing to donate my body for the sexual gratification of people who like shagging ded corpes, or something to that effect. she was hot but a bit weird.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by the_faceman@28 December 2003 - 07:35
    we have Donor Cards in the UK too, but i haven't seen any publicity for them like i did a few years back. I don't know why that is actually.
    Well, don't be discouraged by the lack of publicity...according to the UK Transplant website organ transplants in the U.K. are going strong....

"Today is Sunday 28 Dec 2003.
    Since 1 April 2003:
    1,605 people have
    received transplants
    513 people have
    donated organs
    5,856 people are still
    waiting for transplants
    an additional
    1,116 people have
    donated corneas
    1,665 people have
    received the gift of sight
    and 10,956,898 people have said they want to help others to live after their death by joining the NHS Organ Donor Register."

mrlessk

5. Lounge   -   #15
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    as i write this i am looking at my 6 month old daughter...i have a 4 year old and a teenager as well but they are still asleep the lazy sods...anyway i can tell you that i would gladly give my life to save them should it arise.i couldn't imaging not doing it. It's hard to explain but i love them totally and even if this sounds selfish i don't want to go through the agony of seeing any of them pass away before i do. it's hard enough having to listen to them cry when they cut themselves while out playing, or have to get a vacination.Parents should never have to bury their children.
    this is a very good topic and inspires thought because the situation is one where we would have the time to consider...however how many of us would think before we ran into the road and pushed theat kid out of the path of the speeding car? so the amount that would give up their lives for their children is probably higher than one might think.
    Would i give up my life for another persons child ? well i would probably risk donating an organ even with the risks involved but i would be going in expecting to live and would probably run into the road without thinking again but i might kick myself later for risking making my own children orphans.
    As to the Austrailian law, i would take my child to a country that did allow it and have the op there....my family before laws like that
    i'm sure not everyone would be the same as me and it doesn't make me any better than anyone else but laying down my life to safe my children would be an instinct rather than an act of bravery...may it never have to happen to any of us.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    thanks for that post, i'm sure that most people on the board who have the pleasure of being parents agree with you.

I'm not a parent yet, but i imagine that i'll feel the same way when i do become one. My own parents have expressed a similar sentiment to yourself.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    i have no spare organs anymore but dammit if i did i sure would !!

*me luvs her family *
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

8. Lounge   -   #18
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    i would but only to a blood relative cuz my bro donated his kidney to some bitch that was dying that noone know he was dating then like a year later come find out that kidney needing bitch was cheating on him finding doners by sleeping with them so inconclusion no organs if ain't family period

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by bujub22@28 December 2003 - 22:42
    i would but only to a blood relative cuz my bro donated his kidney to some bitch that was dying that noone know he was dating then like a year later come find out that kidney needing bitch was cheating on him finding doners by sleeping with them so inconclusion no organs if ain't family period
    I would gladly donate my organ to Lilmiss.
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Mr Hand&#39;s Busy Right Now&#33; So Talk To Mr FOOKIN FINGER&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;</span></span>

10. Lounge   -   #20
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by fugley+28 December 2003 - 18:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fugley @ 28 December 2003 - 18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bujub22@28 December 2003 - 22:42
    i would but only to a blood relative cuz my bro donated his kidney to some bitch that was dying that noone know he was dating then like a year later come find out that kidney needing bitch was cheating on him finding doners by sleeping with them&nbsp; so inconclusion no organs if ain&#39;t family period
    I would gladly donate my organ to Lilmiss. [/b][/quote]
    trust me she dont look good after needing a kidney for 3yrs i even told my bro what he saw in her i did&#39;nt know he know her for some yrs but still she&#39;s ugly skinny and she&#39; about 30 yrs old but looks 50 thats how bad she had it ,but now i jus want to kick her in the kidney aaaahh that woulkd feel great

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast