Thread: Bareboneing An Os For Maximum Gameing Speed?

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I'm thinking about how the PS2 and other console runs game soo dammned much faster than the PC and how a PC could be modded to run like one of them.
    I heard somewhere that the PS2's specs are actually like lower than 1.0ghz.. 64mb graphics.. etc. I'm thinkin, what if you have a version of XP on a seperate computer on the fastest speed HD with 20-40gb. Then use a 2.0ghz CPU atleast + 2gb DDR. Then slip a 128mb radeon 9500 pro+ atleast to finish it off. Ok, when you put the game cd in and start it up, the HD should somehow shut down and the game should run completely from the 2gb DDR Memory, CPU, Graphics Accel, etc. Would this cause it to allmost run 25%+ faster? I'm thinking the main reason gameing consoles run faster is because that dont run the game off the very painfully stressed HD that stores all your stuff.

Another example of this is when you fresh install XP on a competely empty HD (No partions&#33.. without any added software or updates, the OS runs amazingly allmost twice as fast as it does when your HD is nearly used up.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    if you want a console, buy a console. no matter what you do, a PC is not going to run as efficiently.

you could prolly gain a little speed by going through the Windows services and shutting most of them down, but if you're not careful you could cripple some programs that you actually want to use. and you can disable XP's decorative features so that it looks like Win98/2000.

but that will still not get the PC running anything like a console. most consoles do not have an OS. Xbox and Dreamcast used Windows, but they used extremely stripped down versions which are not suitable for use in a desktop PC. Playstation, PS2, GameCube, etc run on a BIOS, not an OS. and a lot of old-fashioned cartridge systems contain neither an OS nor a BIOS-- the console boots from the cartridge.

and hard drives are faster than cd/dvd drives. if a console's cd/dvd drive seems faster than your PC's hard drive, it's prolly 'cause the console game is not loading nearly as much data as a PC game, and the game disc is mostly just filled up with a bunch of video cut-scenes.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    actually, a computer runs pretty fast if you know how to tweak it....

console's give the impression of being faster cuz they dont have the super monster called windows.... (+ the other programs like AV, popup blocker, kazaa, etc.).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by DWk@30 December 2003 - 09:29
    actually, a computer runs pretty fast if you know how to tweak it....

console's give the impression of being faster cuz they dont have the super monster called windows.... (+ the other programs like AV, popup blocker, kazaa, etc.).
    well i did say "efficiently." a new console comes out and it is hot shit and it runs circles around PCs, but over the next few years PCs get the advantage back in raw power (until the next generation of consoles comes out). so a PC of course might run faster just because of sheer MHZ, but consoles still use their cycles more efficiently-- they do more with less.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Lick My Lovepump
    Start to defrag your drives regularly for more efficiency.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Well some games on a PC are "only" on a Pc.
    Running these at Console effeciency would be great.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Lick My Lovepump
    There are projects out to make PC game playing consoles.

Search on Google.

Last I heard there was one called Project Phantom and it was going pretty well.

Found it for ya Phantom