Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wildtangent.. Really Messing Up My System.

alright, so whats so bad about wildtangent? my anti-virus hasnt picked it up. and ad-aware didnt pick it up.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Poster
    Originally posted by ninjamonkey@29 December 2003 - 18:50
    alright, so whats so bad about wildtangent? my anti-virus hasnt picked it up. and ad-aware didnt pick it up.
    Anti virus and anti trojan makers are not legally allowed to call this a virus or create applications that will remove it. You accept a legal waiver when you install, that you acknowledge it will behave in a virus or trojan like manor. Case closed, all legal and nice for it's creators.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    muchspl2
    yes I remember reading some of the read me files someone posted awhile ago in another forum, pretty funny wording of the eula

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Poster
    I think there was a pretty major spyware removal program that was forced to shutdown because of this last year. They refused to comply with an order to rewrite their software and chose to give it up instead.

Was it spybot that got sued a few months ago for having gator or something in it's spyware list?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    muchspl2
    I herd something about it but I thought it was ad aware, I just skimmed past it at slashdot

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Poster
    ...Glass tubes all look alike from the inside.
    Lol... as far im concerned, Gator is a bloody virus.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Poster
    I took Gator apart once just to see how evil it really was. Not suprising to me at all, it has a cache of phony windows error messages built in to make it seem as if windows desparately needs every part of it to survive and your an idiot if you even consider removing it.

I suspected this when I got error messages while trying to uninstall it, but no mention of any errors in my sys logs.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Originally posted by balamm@29 December 2003 - 20:44
    No, don&#39;t email them. Go into your control panel and security options. Look for "clear page file on shut down" It&#39;ll take a while to do this the first time so be patient while it clears. Before you restart, set a real low limit on the page file. Just enough to run the system. 300mb maybe?

Restart in safe mode and you should be able to pick out the pieces of this virus crap.
    Have you run chkdsk /r yet ? give it a try and see if some of the problems lessen.
    im running win2000 and i dont see security options in the control panel.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Poster
    open administrative tools, it&#39;s there. local security policies.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast