Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 166 Bus Speed?

Double Agent
    yeah i heard the ppl over at tom's have oc'ed a p4 northwood to 5.2GHz

amazing shit what liquid nitrogen can do....

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    BANNED
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@31 December 2003 - 01:58
    yeah i heard the ppl over at tom's have oc'ed a p4 northwood to 5.2GHz

amazing shit what liquid nitrogen can do....
    but i dont think it was necessary.... i mean - with -190ºC you could keep overclocking (if the chip allowed that, of course)..... cuz with like a temp of 20ºC it would be enuff for it to stay that way

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Whatever you do, watch yer mem-speed, if you tweak something that puts your mem over maximum buss speed you might accidently oc it, I once did this with some RAM unintentionally, never had more blue-screens in my life.

Also, the pencil trick only works on old ones apparently, later XP:s have been made so it can't be done, I think lynx told me this.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Ok.. so i have two sticks of GeIL ram running at dual channel PC3200 (400mhz?)
    So that means 166mhz is the right number?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Shiranai_Baka@31 December 2003 - 06:55
    Ok.. so i have two sticks of GeIL ram running at dual channel PC3200 (400mhz?)
    So that means 166mhz is the right number?
    yes it will run

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Also, the pencil trick only works on old ones apparently, later XP:s have been made so it can't be done, I think lynx told me this.
    True snny. The next gen Athys used laser cut grooves to defeat this trick. You had to use super-glue gel (to fill in the grooves), scotch-tape (to seal the grooves for the gel) and a rear window defroster kit to bridge the gap. The newer Athys (or so I'm told) have to be Dremmel cut. Not for me!

And yeah, the pencil trick was el-cheapo. Besides that, it didn't last all that long.

nah its cool thats not the problem.... im just trying to learn shit hehe
    No worries, DWK, we all are. B)

As a special note, AMD and Intel claim that the reason for stopping OC'ing is to stop vendors from OC'ing thier procs and selling them in systems for the cost of the more expensive (faster) proc. They don't like dealing with pissed off customers who want warrenty work on a system with a warrenty voided proc. Not to mention the small loss of sales.....nothing like a little corporate greed.

Liberal: Lib er al Someone who's mind is so open their brains fell out.
    Real cars don't make horsepower at the front wheels, they lift them.
    Lead, follow or get yer ass run over!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    BANNED
    Originally posted by longboneslinger@31 December 2003 - 15:59
    As a special note, AMD and Intel claim that the reason for stopping OC'ing is to stop vendors from OC'ing thier procs and selling them in systems for the cost of the more expensive (faster) proc. They don't like dealing with pissed off customers who want warrenty work on a system with a warrenty voided proc. Not to mention the small loss of sales.....nothing like a little corporate greed.
    definitely

however thats the PR explanation of the companies.... we all know thats not true :

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123