Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Comp Should I Get?

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Well, it's time for me to get a new comp, and a cheap one at it. I'm particularly interested in comps that are cheap and will be able to run doom3 and half life2 at low/medium settings. so basically i want performance overall. here's one that i found (canadian), tell me what you think of it and if its right for me or not:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10189

from the looks of it, its too good to be true, but then again... it doesn't have the monitor, but that video card looks mighty nice!

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    thats an okay system i guess....but you'll save so much more money if you build yourself one...for that price im pretty sure you could get a nice monitor and some a great gfx card intead of the 5600. but if you must buy prebuilt, than i guess you could go for that...i recomend ibuypower but you live in canada

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ya, i guess building it myself would be cheaper, and add a bit of a challenge (which i like). but seriously though, i have no idea which cable goes where. the only thing i've ever done that's complicated is installing optical drives, ya, just plug the ide cable in that's about it. for me, i think i should just stay from the build it yourself, cuz i'm bound to screw something up. thanks for the reply, i'll check out the ibuypower website to see if they ship to canada.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Lick My Lovepump
    256MB PC3200 DDR Memory!?!?!?

I think you'll want at least 512.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    true true, but my current system has 384mb ram (256+128). so, if the mobo on that comp has atleast 3 ram slots, i can easily have a total of 256+256+128= [SIZE=7]640 MB[SIZE=7]. [SIZE=1] and i can always grab some ram for 30 bucks at any local comp store . if anyone knows of any other good sites that have comps prebuilt and ready to order that ship to/in canada, pls post the link. i'm not really into the customiztion of the comp which you can do online because, frankly, my budget is 1200 bucks total. oh god, only if i knew how to build a comp i'd be set![SIZE=1]

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Lick My Lovepump
    Try and match the RAM, get the same make and speed for both of the modules.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ya, i probably should do that. that way it will be more efficient, plus im worried that the newer mobos won't support the ram i have now, honestly, i have absolutely no idea what kind of ram i have (the 256 and 128)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    If your system is pretty old I doubt that your old ram can even work with a new mobo. It might be SDRam, or might run at like PC2100 or something.

Edit: That system doesnt come with an operating system. You have to pay $130 more for windows.....

GO WITH AMD. If you buy a pre built AMD system, you will get alot more for your money.

Look at the system I built all for $650, not including HDD. It would whoop that system that your looking at.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@2 January 2004 - 17:42
    If your system is pretty old I doubt that your old ram can even work with a new mobo. It might be SDRam, or might run at like PC2100 or something.

Edit: That system doesnt come with an operating system. You have to pay $130 more for windows.....

GO WITH AMD. If you buy a pre built AMD system, you will get alot more for your money.

Look at the system I built all for $650, not including HDD. It would whoop that system that your looking at.
    LOL whos gona buy windows xp wen u hav K-lite or Suprnova

if u dunt noe how to build a computer look at the stickies for guides and if u hav no idea wt im saying or the guide buy the prebuilt one and 256 ddr is not very bad!

My Blog
    I'm still here.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    256mb ddr sucks! im running it right now and i cant stand it, cant do much with my computer, hell, downloading something in bittorent and trying to run a game is slow enough, and i dont run any AV or firewall. i cant imagine the kind of setting id have to go to if i ran those. my advice: dont get that system, not enough memory, and way to expensive for the stuff your getting. read a little bit online and build your own. you'll be so much happier.
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast