Thread: Best Mpeg-2 Codec ?

Poster
    Whenever I play SVCD movies / clips, I get the audio fine, and the video ok, but at a massively wrong size. The height is about double the width, so it's impossible to watch sensibly.

I assume it's the codec I am using, since before I reformatted and reinstalled everything, I had some other codec that worked fine. I don't know which it was, but now whatever I installed (it was a random choice) doesn't do very well.

Is this a common problem ? Anyone recommend a codec ? I installed WinDVD, which should have worked, but it changed nothing. Is there something else wrong that I have overlooked ?
    Stoopid News - My Blog / Stoopid News site. All wierd, wacky, crazy news.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    install the k-lite codec pack and/or use videolan to play

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Just use VideoLan to play directly from cd or Power DVD (for XP) WinDVD (for everything lower)

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    i personally use the new Winamp player does the job for me with the k-lite codec pack installed of course
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    PowerDVD

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Yes, winamp is good I have used it for my movies it has work on all except one I like it because of the EQ and u get bass & the full effect in your movies it sounds much better

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Poster
    Well that sucks, cos the k-lite codec pack was the first i installed, and it gave me this problem from the start I suppose.

Could it be a graphics card error ? I've been getting funny freezes every now and again.... it's a "Micro-X Geforce 4 440 MX", I was under the impression they were rather good.. but maybe not.

I might just have to play them in WinDVD (or download PowerDVD). The only real trouble is, I'm trying to encode to SVCD and stuff, and it's very hard to preview movies. I don't want to have to burn to CD and go to a DVD player to test them.
    Stoopid News - My Blog / Stoopid News site. All wierd, wacky, crazy news.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by GibboNet@2 January 2004 - 10:35
    Whenever I play SVCD movies / clips, I get the audio fine, and the video ok, but at a massively wrong size. The height is about double the width, so it's impossible to watch sensibly.

I assume it's the codec I am using, since before I reformatted and reinstalled everything, I had some other codec that worked fine. I don't know which it was, but now whatever I installed (it was a random choice) doesn't do very well.

Is this a common problem ? Anyone recommend a codec ? I installed WinDVD, which should have worked, but it changed nothing. Is there something else wrong that I have overlooked ?
    I suspect you're not using the latest windows media player, it plays svcd perfectly.
    Robert00000

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    muchspl2
    anyone who recommends someone to download the newest DRM ridden wmp should be shot
    its a great player if you want DRM