Thread: Bt Port Question

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    u know how bt used 6881-6999? wat happens if i do 6881-8000? will that increase my dl and ul speed by increasing the amount of ports it can use?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    muchspl2
    no
    bittorrent only uses 1 port at a time if you open all those ports your leaving your computer open
    just open 6881-6889 or even less if you don't plan on having more than a few torrents open at any givin time

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by muchspl2@2 January 2004 - 15:54
    no
    bittorrent only uses 1 port at a time if you open all those ports your leaving your computer open
    just open 6881-6889 or even less if you don't plan on having more than a few torrents open at any givin time
    damn. . oh well. ok. thanks

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    I only have open 6881-6884 B)

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    NoRemorse's Avatar Member
    Originally posted by ZaZu@2 January 2004 - 22:18
    I only have open 6881-6884 B)
    Same here :music1:

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster
    when you forward them, on the router configuration thing, how will it know its bittorrent? if all you type is bittorrrent,will it still work?

U RNT LEET LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by muchspl2@2 January 2004 - 14:54
    no
    I don't think this is accurate. While BT will use the range of ports you set to make an inital connection, after connection is made it will use other additional ports.

My firewall is set to allow server rights to BT. If you block other ports with a firewall rule, you will block additional connections.

I have one active download that is connected to 22 peers and one seed, using many different ports.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    muchspl2
    no
    open one torrent and it defaults to 6881, open another and it will try 6881 once it can't get through it will go on to the next port 6882 then it will stop as you should have open that port
    open another and it will try 6881 first and so on and so on
    unless you change the default ports in your client it doesn't use any other ports

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster
    Yes,

Here's a screen shot of my port range in BT:

Here are my connections:

The last part of local address are the ports used. As you can see, one download is connected on many ports and many more are listening for connections.