Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What The Hell?

Poster
    Hi guys,

This post is a little lengthy but I wanted you to know the history of this software problem

I had problems with my PC a month ago. I had a copy of Veitcong that I was playing. I switched on my PC one day and everything was sluggish and kept crashing! I don't know alot about software/hardware so I started deleting files to try and iradicate the problem. Well after deleting almost everything (including Veitcong) the problem still persisted. Eventually my PC refused to boot and I called a guy in to repair it.

He said it was the graphics card (GeForce3) and charged me £30 within 2 minutes just for looking at it!

I took it to a shop and they said the card was fine and the problem was my RAM. They replaced it but the problem persisted I eventually got them to replace the motherboard, the graphics card & the processer for £300. I reformatted the HD with a new copy of Win 2K Pro and all seemed fine. I tried to reinstall Veitcong but it stopped half way and crashed. I tried to copy the file to my HD but half way through, I got a message saying 'cyclic redundancy error'. My PC started to crash every hour and a blue screen appeared each time saying memory dump? Well last week it didn't boot up again

I know what your thinking, why didn't I replace the HD aswell right! So back to the shop it went and £100 lighter in my pocket I upgraded to a new 80g HD.

I took the PC home and tried to reboot Veitcong but the same thing occured! I tried to install Max 5 from Kazaa Lite but it does the same thing as Veitcong

I had a working copy of Max on a disk from a friend & tried to copy the contents onto my new HD but half way thorugh it read 'cyclic redundancy error' If everything has been replaced WTF do I do now Even as I type theres a delay and it takes a few seconds for the words to appear on the screen. I'm running Norton anti virus 2003.

Whenever I boot my PC I get a message in a black box saying cddriver missing in WINNIT. I've reinstalled the drivers for my CDdrive with the disk it came with. All ofther programs work fine like the internet etc, but when I try to open My Computer, everything is sluggish (even with Kazaa disconnected). I've scanned my HD with Norton AntiVirus & it found one infection which is now quarentined. I'm still getting that blue screen every hour with the memory dump message!

I've got to hand in an animation final for uni in 10 days too!

All replies are appreciated, I would love to fix this with you guys before the clowns at my local repair shop rip me off again.

Win 2K Pro (Original Copy)
    MSI GeForce 5200
    80g HD
    512 DDR Ram
    Gigabyte K7 Triton N-Force2 Motherboard
    A large Headache

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    first.... just to be sure.... make sure everything is fit tightly together inside your computer (the hard drives, processor, ram, etc.)

ok.... whats the name of the virus norton is telling you about?

go here and get ad-aware....and do a scan to ur system and remove everything you have (all bad things the program tells you).

do you have anything important in your computer? cuz my serious recommendation is just format the computer, dont install anything, finish your animation, and get that off your back first..... and then try to fix your problem....

i think you should move to windows xp...your pc is looks good enuff to hold it easily, and you might get rid of some of the problems that you are having (for example the cd driver error).

let me know

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    you should always avoid local computer shops - if u got a comp problem they are gonna make sure you get ripped off and seel you stuff you dont need

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    DWK,

I've got Spybot, how does it compare to ad-ware? I've tried pushing all the hardware together and it all seems fine. The guys at the repair shop installed a fresh copy of windows 2k pro with a new HD so that should be ok. I'll definately go to XP on payday

I can't reinstall Max 5 so I can't finish my animation ! I don't know what could be wrong because all the main hardware components (including the HD) have been replaced and so has the operating system.

The virus software is Norton Internet Security 2003 (with Live Update enabled).

BTW, my processor is an Athlon 2600. Is there a program to remove backdoor trogans from WINNIT files? I did a free Symantec scan and it found 21 trogans. Norton and Spybot didn't register these viruses though

Thanks for the reply

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Marius24@3 January 2004 - 00:58
    you should always avoid local computer shops - if u got a comp problem they are gonna make sure you get ripped off and seel you stuff you dont need
    Marius24,

I hear you man, I wish I knew more about my the guts of my system. These guys are like sharks!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    trojans huh?

well i recommend you do a clean format and dont bring anything back from the current computer....only way to know if you're completely safe....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Marius24+3 January 2004 - 00:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Marius24 &#064; 3 January 2004 - 00:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>you should always avoid local computer shops - if u got a comp problem they are gonna make sure you get ripped off and seel you stuff you dont need&nbsp; [/b]

No you shouldn&#39;t.
    You should, however, try and identify the ones that are honest and reliable. Word of mouth is the best recommendation anyone can get.

Originally posted by 121@2 January 2004 - 23:43
    I know what your thinking, why didn&#39;t I replace the HD aswell right&#33; &nbsp; So back to the shop it went and £100 lighter in my pocket I upgraded to a new 80g HD.
    You didn&#39;t know what I was thinking. Right now I&#39;m thinking "why the hell would he change the HDD?"

Originally posted by 121@2 January 2004 - 23:43
    I took it to a shop and they said the card was fine and the problem was my RAM. They replaced it but the problem persisted &nbsp; I eventually got them to replace the motherboard, the graphics card & the processer for £300. I reformatted the HD with a new copy of Win 2K Pro and all seemed fine. I tried to reinstall Veitcong but it stopped half way and crashed. I tried to copy the file to my HD but half way through, I got a message saying &#39;cyclic redundancy error&#39;. My PC started to crash every hour and a blue screen appeared each time saying memory dump? &nbsp; Well last week it didn&#39;t boot up again
    From what you say, I take it they didn&#39;t want to change the mobo, CPU and GFX card?
    Now, if you&#39;re getting CRC errors when copying files, it ain&#39;t gonna be the fault of your GFX card.
    Something to remember that will help you with issues like this... whenever you get a bluescreen (BSOD) write down what it says and search the internet for it when you can&#33; The point of a BSOD is not to wind users up, but to indicate where the fault occured; I&#39;ve not heard of a BSOD just asking "memory dump?" before.

Originally posted by 121@3 January 2004 - 01:11
    I can&#39;t reinstall Max 5 so I can&#39;t finish my animation &#33; I don&#39;t know what could be wrong because all the main hardware components (including the HD) have been replaced and so has the operating system.
    Get Memtest86 and check your RAM. Possibly suspect your CDROM drive or IDE cable if you&#39;re gretting CRC errors.

<!--QuoteBegin-121
    @3 January 2004 - 01:11
    The virus software is Norton Internet Security 2003 (with Live Update enabled).
    BTW, my processor is an Athlon 2600. Is there a program to remove backdoor trogans from WINNIT files? I did a free Symantec scan and it found 21 trogans. Norton and Spybot didn&#39;t register these viruses though
    [/quote]
    With the firewall and antivirus options enabled, updated and properly set you should be covered. NIS2003 has worked fine for me since release.
    You still didn&#39;t tell us which virus Norton has quarantined.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    ...Glass tubes all look alike from the inside.
    Its happeneing when you install software from your cd right? That would point me to the CDROM drive itself. Get the serial numbers and manufacturers name from from the casing, and get a friend to download the most up to date drivers available and put them on a cd for you, alongside the most recent service pack for win2k. (for future reference). If possible, get him to put drivers for your gfx card, network card, Motherboard, and sound card on that cd as well.

edit :- if your worried about viruses sticking around, do a low level format from your bios menu. Assuming your bios supports that.

Clean install win2k. Then install the drivers your friend downloaded - starting with the motherboard, then the service pack, then the rest. (win2k will use its own generic drivers for the hardware until then, which should be safe, but not as quick.)

Hopefully, that should be the end of your problems. Don&#39;t worry about these &#39;trojans&#39; that symantec is reporting - chances are that it tagged Nortons virus definition files. Virus checkers include small snippets of viral coding in order that theuy can recognise them - its not something to worry about most of the time.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Project E&#045;01+3 January 2004 - 02:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Project E&#045;01 &#064; 3 January 2004 - 02:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Its happeneing when you install software from your cd right? That would point me to the CDROM drive itself. Get the serial numbers and manufacturers name from from the casing, and get a friend to download the most up to date drivers available and put them on a cd for you...[/b]

I doubt that would be useful if the drive can&#39;t read the data reliably.

Originally posted by Project E&#045;01@3 January 2004 - 02:15
    edit :- if your worried about viruses sticking around, do a low level format from your bios menu. Assuming your bios supports that.
    Why does he need a low level format to remove viruses? A quick format from a clean DOS boot will do the job equally as well and take less than 5 seconds.

<!--QuoteBegin-Project E&#045;01
    @3 January 2004 - 02:15
    Don&#39;t worry about these &#39;trojans&#39; that symantec is reporting.[/quote]
    He says that Norton didn&#39;t report the trojans.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    ...Glass tubes all look alike from the inside.
    Sorry for the delayed reply here...

Win2k is bieng installed from CD, and is installing fine. This would suggest that the fault lies with the drivers, not the device itself.

The problem with a dos dormat is that dos needs to mount the partition to be able to format it. It cant mount NTFS drives, and the format is only going to be reliable at clearing the virus if it is done before anything is loaded from the H.D.D, therefore a low level from the bios is the most secure option.

With regard to the trojans - norton didn&#39;t, but symantec did was what he said. I wont repeat the rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast