Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Napster Gets A New Lease Of Life

Poster
    Napster, the pioneering online music file swapping service, will be relaunched by the end of the year by its new owner as a legal subscription service. Roxio, a company which makes software for CD-burners, bought Napster's name and associated patents for $5m in November. Napster's founder Shawn Fanning is back with the company as a consultant after Roxio hired him earlier this month.

The new Napster will no longer allow file-swapping which attracted 60 million users at the peak of its popularity before annoyed record labels brought the company down with legal suits.

"The record labels know we want to do this the correct way and the legal way," said a Roxio spokeswoman.

Legal tussles

"And it will be top-tier content, not unheard-of bands you see now with most of the subscription services," she added.

The original Napster halted file swapping in July 2001.

Last Friday, a group of songwriters, composers and music publishers has launched a $17bn lawsuit against German media giant Bertelsmann, alleging that it helped Napster deprive them of royalties.

Roxio bought Napster on the condition it would not carry any potential liabilities.

The story of Napster will also be the subject of a feature film.

( From Sprycha.com )

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by Champion@25 February 2003 - 16:00
    The story of Napster will also be the subject of a feature film.
    The story of Napster? When can I share that file?--

Jibbler
    Proud member of MDS

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Lawny_LC
    Do you know what Napster will be if it is relaunched? Not sure if I read this correctly, but is there going to be no peer-to-peer file sharing?! If not, THEN WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY BE!? *thinks back to good ol' napster days* good times, good times... well, anyway, just wondering about it. By the way... I'm... *echos* NEW! to the forum, HEY ALL!

- Lawny

P.S. If they try to shut down Kazaa, heads will roll!

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    I dont care what they name it. I am still not going to pay for files when I can
    get them for tha free

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    napster will be back, for a small fee you might have a chance to login
    although it will never be the same, napster has been raped from every side. Only way it will happen if their wasn't any monthly fee. Since most of p2p are now free, like kazaa lite. why pay for something, we can get for free elsewhere? either they have something more they not saying or just the whole idea of relaunching is to simply state, " we wont go down that easily" or something around those lines....

anyway... i like napster, wait.. liked napster it was great p2p though things changed. we have far more new and better p2p out there now. napster was the start but now it can only be known as the father of p2p.... ...let napster rest.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    i wouldn't mind paying up to 10 bucks a month for free everything, i mean, if kazaa kept getting bigger, and millions of people stopped going to movies, nobody would make movies anymore cause there would be no money in it.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    kab:

LOL!@#

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by kAb@26 February 2003 - 05:34
    i wouldn't mind paying up to 10 bucks a month for free everything, i mean, if kazaa kept getting bigger, and millions of people stopped going to movies, nobody would make movies anymore cause there would be no money in it.
    I'm with you... I'll spend $10 a month for unlimited DL's of stuff I like...

I used to subscribe to emusic.com. Best $15/month I spent for 3 months. I DL'ed at least 40 FULL albums of stuff I liked -- stuff I could have gotten on Kazza for free. The idea here was to support those groups I liked -- AND -- pay a reasonable amount for music.

If the RIAA would just realize that a good chunk of people wouldn't mind paying REASONABLE (key word) prices for music DL's we would ALL be better.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    pay? money? dollers? the good kind of paper? american money?

hmmm, maybe you like to pay because you can't find it anywhere else and if you can but willing to pay still... why not spend it on maybe ummm yourself or some beer

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Only one thing to say: R.I.P. Napster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast