Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Tool For Previewing Avi's

I've not seen this piece of software mentioned by anyone else on the forum, so i think it's still relatively unknown.
    however, it's an extremely useful tool for previewing all of an avi which you are downloading. the problem with the standard avi preview with kazaa is that the player can be hard to use, and it can onyl preview the first piece of data you have. this means you can have 300 meg of a film, but can only preview 20 secs or whatever.

however, AVI Previewc (ddl) is a command driven avi preview utility. it creates a new avi file which contains all the data you have downloaded before. it can also be played in whatever player you like (so long as you have the required codecs), which is great.

you can find all the necessary information either contained within the program in the readme, or from the site of the programmer, here
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    just thought i&#39;d make a little tutorial for people so they know exactly how to use this app

firstly, you need to identify the partial download (dat) file you are trying to preview. to do this, use kdat. this will allow you to see which dat file you need to use.
    once you have identified the dat file, copy it to the same directory as you extracted the avipreviewc program to. to keep things easy, i have avipreviewc on my desktop.
    once you have copied the file, change the name to something which is easy to type, for example, movie.avi
    this is where it gets a little more complicated for novice users.
    open command prompt (dos)
    then in dos change to the directory where you have both the partial download and the avipreviewc program. do this by using the cd command
    (e.g. to change from c:&#092;documents and settings&#092;A L to my desktop, all i have to type is "cd desktop")

now, type in "avipreviewc movie.avi movie2.avi" (without the inverted commas(you will have to change "movie.avi" to whatever you renamed the partial download to. also, "movie2.avi" can be anything you like, however, remember the .avi extension))
    just press enter and the program will go to work at creating the new movie file.

the new movie file will be created in the same directory as the partial download file and the avipreviewc program.
    it should contain all the downloaded information you have from kazaa and should be playable in most media players.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    [INSERT SHAMELESS BUMP][/INSERT SHAMELESS BUMP]

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Nice ,i think i will put this on my website,(with your permission)Nevermind, i have this already .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by sharedholder@31 July 2003 - 08:01
    Nice ,i think i will put this on my website,(with your permission)Nevermind, i have this already .
    it&#39;s not my program, so i&#39;d say go ahead

it&#39;s a very handy tool though...

nice site, by the way

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    nice site, by the way&nbsp;
    TY.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Well DivFix does pretty much the same thing and is easier to use . . .
    Download
    Guide
    1. Make a copy of your .dat file.
    2. Rename the copy to anything for example matrix-sample.avi
    3. Now open DivFix unclick keep the original file, and select the file which you re-named "matrix-sample.avi"
    4. Click rebuild index.
    5. Go to were you file is "matrix-sample.avi" and open with any player.
    Notes
    If after you rename it, it&#39;s still in it&#39;s .dat format go to folder options which should be in tools in every folder. Then select the View tab, and scroll down and unclick Hide Extensions For Known File Types. Hit apply then Ok. Then go to your file click rename "matrix-sample.avi.dat" rename to "matrix-sample.avi" which is off course getting rid off .dat.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by LeUaNt|cS@31 July 2003 - 08:29
    Well DivFix does pretty much the same thing and is easier to use . . .
    i agree divfix is a handy tool, however, i&#39;ve found it to be lacking recent times with new codec being used for encoding

also, it doesn&#39;t always work, and takes quite a long time to do it&#39;s thing

also, avipreviewc has a lot more scope for changing opitons that divfix doesn&#39;t have

changing video size is one of the most obvious...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i&#39;m surprised people haven&#39;t taken to using this as much as i have...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BUMP&#33;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast