Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norton Internet Security Vs. Sygate+avg

I've been using norton internet secur2003 for awhile and have had no problems with it...even when my cpu gets attacked with a trojan or somethin, most of the time I can trace that person and get all his info, including his ip add. Not that I know what to do wit that stuff....But recently my subscrip ran out so I got NortonIS04 off BT and it totally slowed down my system. So I got Sygate f/w5.5pro and Avg trial vers. How do these stack up to NIS03? does sygate prevent pop ups like NIS03? and does it alert me of attackers? does AVG have a live update like NAV?
    and this might be a little off topic but should I block or allow these apps:
    -NT kernel & system
    -generic hosts services for win32 services.
    i don't know what they do as I didnt encounter them with nis03.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    use sygate togheter with nod32 and you have the perfect security
    that kind of links are not alowed.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by MeDieViL@3 January 2004 - 19:24
    use sygate togheter with nod32 and you have the perfect security
    don't forget a decent anti trojan
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Don&#39;t forget that for NOD32 you must have a user/pass for every update.And if you want to use a crack , is imposibile at least you want to use that trojan crack released by ( i don&#39;t remember ).

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by sharedholder@3 January 2004 - 19:30
    Don&#39;t forget that for NOD32 you must have a user/pass for every update.And if you want to use a crack , is imposibile at least you want to use that trojan crack released by ( i don&#39;t remember ).
    if you leave the user/pass blank, you can get free updates for 30 days

then if you happen to accidently uninstall nod32, run a reg cleaner and reinstall you can get another 30 days free

and so on and so forth
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+3 January 2004 - 20:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 3 January 2004 - 20:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sharedholder@3 January 2004 - 19:30
    Don&#39;t forget that for NOD32 you must have a user/pass&nbsp; for every update.And if you want to use a crack , is imposibile at least you want to use that trojan crack released by ( i don&#39;t remember ).
    if you leave the user/pass blank, you can get free updates for 30 days

then if you happen to accidently uninstall nod32, run a reg cleaner and reinstall you can get another 30 days free

and so on and so forth [/b][/quote]
    You right, but is a great pain in ass, i stick with free AVG.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    im running SAV and AVG, i dont have a need for firewal cuz my router

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Whatever you do... don&#39;t use norton internet security 2004. Tons of people are having trouble wth it and Symantec doesn&#39;t know what&#39;s wrong ..... suuuuuure.

It slows down every system I&#39;ve seen it on.

Hmmm... come to think of it... I haven&#39;t beeen using
    Norton for a while now. It was good.. for a while, but I;ve found better. I like AVG Anti-virus, and I use NAT, Router, VPN instead of a firewall.

AVG Homepage

AVG is waaaay more reliable than Norton, especially when updating. It&#39;s integrated instead of using a seperate program (like Live Update). Not to mention, if you are gonna pay for it , the license is two years instead of one. That would be AVG 7.0. AVG 6.0 free edition was great, but 7.0 is soooo much better.

Oh, yeah, as for blocking

-NT kernel & system

... I suggest you don&#39;t if you want to actually use your computer.
    -- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by brucelee21@3 January 2004 - 11:28
    -NT kernel & system
    i have the ntoskrnl.exe blocked w/ no problems
    (blocked from access to my ethernet card)
    read about a security risk somewhere, so i blocked it

generic host processes is needed to use the web
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    well after installing NIS04, I understand why its good....good for me to poop on&#33;&#33; Sygate is good by it slows my internet surfing, and sometimes i&#39;ll get a "cannot find server" page, and it doesnt stop popups. AVG is annoying cause it always at the startup it always asks for activation and that the email scanner isn&#39;t set up. I liked NIS03...is there anyway I could run that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast