Thread: Very Strange

hello kazaa users.. i have a problem while using kazaa..resently i uppgraded my connection from 0.5 mb to 8 mb, but now when i try to dl movies/music what ever from kazaa my speed dont go over 10 kb/s!! when i had my old connection 0.5 my dl in kazaa was about 45/55 kb/s but now when i have uppgraded to 8 mb/s it should dl much much much faster but it does not.. its stuck on very low speed..i have tryed about every tip i have seen on this forum but with no luck . i did a connection speed test and my dl speed was on 840 kb/s. so what can the problem be? i have no firewall am not behind any router have removed all spyware and ad ware..anyone knows what it can be?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    geothermal78's Avatar Poster
    Well, since you have ruled out a firewall problem, then I would suggest getting one set up now.

Zone Alarm has a free version that seems easy to me to set up.

Also you could post what KL settings you have now. Have you tried tweaking the settings options ?

The last option would be to reinstall KL.

What ISP are you using ?

It is slightly possible that your ISP is constricting everyone's bandwidth during a maintenance cycle for a few days. Check you ISP's website for maintancence info.

geothermal

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    yeah i just downloaded Sygate Firewall..i have tryed many defrent settings on kazaa..when i installed it it askes what connection and i choose the 7000/512 i think it was and are using port 1214..i have installed and uninstalled so many times now cuz i have changed the connection settings each time..my ISP is telia and when i run a speed test i get about 830 Kb/s so i dont think its a problem from my ISP. i am using kazaa lite 2.40 now cuz i fell like it works best..but i tryed them all ,kazaa lite 2.43 , cleankmd244 same problem with them all

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    hege -- I'm not a computer expert, but I have been working with K-Lite for quite a while. You might try lowering the bandwith setting for uploading to other K-Lite users to see if that helps.

My cable broadband connection is 100mbps and download tests show I can download more than 2mbps. But that's only part of it. I've had a few downloads over 300kbps but most range less than 75kbps.

The biggest influence on your download speed is the number of sources you're downloading from and their speed. You can have the fastest connection in the world, but if the people you're downloading from are on a dial-up connection,
    you'll be lucky to get 5kbps.

Also, there have been several threads from those using older K-Lite versions that things have gotten slower, fewer results and often connection problems. I'm now experimenting with one of the KLchat builds based on KMD 2.6 and I'm finding hundreds of sources and when I find someone who's actually sharing, the download speeds are fast. However, there are lots of times when I find a huge number of sources and I can't connect to any of them.

Hope some of this helps.

Flaboy

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    ok thanks for the tip Flaboy

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by hege@3 January 2004 - 18:10
    ReCently I upgraded my connection from 0.5 mb to 8 mb, but now when I try to dl movies/music/whatever from kazaa my speed doESn't go over 10 kb/s!!
    When you upgraded, did you change ISPs?
    If so, the new ISP may have a special (possibly secret) policy to cripple access to file-sharing networks.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    The biggest influence on your download speed is the number of sources you're downloading from and their speed. You can have the fastest connection in the world, but if the people you're downloading from are on a dial-up connection,
    you'll be lucky to get 5kbps.
    That to me is it in a nutshell and don't forget most users are sharing to more than one and don't have that kind of speed to start with you would need a LOT of users who are fast to get a good speed going, the other problem too is the ones that have speed like uni' etc are now having problems connecting to KaZaa thanks to riaa etc.
    If you want speed have a look at the other p2p like M(irc) and Bittorrent they on here too just have a read.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    i uppgraded from same ISP as i had before..its a shame that kazaa wont let you use all your downloading power other then that its a very good p2p.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    geothermal78's Avatar Poster
    >>> i did a connection speed test and my dl speed was on 840 kb/s.>>>

>>>using port 1214>>>

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but when I go to a website
    and it tests my net speed, they are checking http speed and not port 1214 speed ?

hege,

You might try http tunneling or ask your ISP if they care about p2p programs.

geothermal