Thread: Basic Electronics Help

Duffman's Avatar Poster
    i was getting ready to, "fix" my xbox, and i've been practicing soldering and what not, but ive been wondering about what all the litte blue, red, and round things with stripes are, i wouldn't know what to even type on google

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I've never seen the interior of a XBox so I'm just guessing here...diodes, maybe?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    well there not xbox specific but im talking about all the little bulbs and tubes and things soldered onto any circuit board

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Right.
    Those are transistors and diodes and who knows what.
    What kind of work are you planning on attempting?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    just a modchip, but it can't hurt to know what those things are right?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    one of my old jobs was soldering. my advice to you would be not to leave the soldering iron on the chips legs for too long or you will fry the chip.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    well with the mod chip i solder 6inch wires or so, so i don't think frying the chip is a problem, and its only a 15 watt iron, what im scared is that ive never really soldered before and i don't wanna kill an xbox, i don't wanna add too much solder, if you know a good site with tips that'd be nice id like to ge a little more practice in before the big game

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I would suggest you try fixing some other things that require soldering before attempting to work on your Xbox. Or pay someone with experience to do it for you.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@4 January 2004 - 02:15
    I would suggest you try fixing some other things that require soldering before attempting to work on your Xbox. Or pay someone with experience to do it for you.
    I'd go along with that.

My son had a PSX that I chipped for him a few years ago... it was all I could do to see the bloody points where I was soldering. I managed to drop a blob of solder onto a transistor so I had to remove it without damaging the component. That wasn;f fun but it turned out all right in the end.
    I very nearly managed to fuck that up, and I know what I'm doing with a soldering iron!
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?