Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have An Online "persona"

reading a few recent topics gave me the idea for this one.

Do you think people see you differently on this forum for example, than your friends, family and associates in the real world do?

Do you consciously act different? Do you act different but only realise it when you stop to think about it?

Do you feel it gives you a fresh start, because no-one knows anything about your past etc? For example, you could have been the biggest geek in your school, yet online command respect and admiration from others. (whilst snorting at your own jokes at home)

It's not hard to figure out you can be totally different online to the person you are that roams the "real world". Sometimes this can be dangerous, with people gaining young children's trust for example. Other times it can be harmless, a bit of fun and escapism.

Personally, i don't think i am exactly the same on here as i am in real life, although i like to think that i am a relatively likeable character. i have no known enemies in my real life, and i don't believe i have any online. ***edit*** i should add that the only real changes to my real life personality i make when online are ones i consciously make as to not give away too much about myself. i like my relative anonyminity, and wish to keep it that way, hence no picture was put forth for funky's website. i'd have liked to, but didn't.

Another question i'll slip in - do you feel that the friendships formed online are as real and strong as they are in real life.

I feel that i genuinely like the people i talk to a lot, on soulseek for example, and even feel i know them to a small extent. but to consider them a real "friend" i'd have to drop the guard of anonyminity. For example, no-one knows my real name - and i think it would be crazy to call someone a friend if they didn't even know that. What is good for the goose is good for the gander so to speak, just as you can be virtually anyone you want to be online, the person you are talking to has the same freedom.

I do believe that you could have a real friend that you have never met in person, as long as everything was in the open. I know people's parents that have friends in the US and they talk via microphone and webcam etc, and they seem to have a real bond with those people.

Thoughts?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I'm me, this is how I am IRL

I front quite a lot as several people here could tell you, but if you saw/met me in a pub or public place I'm no different to how I am here

I crack jokes and constantly pick silly things out of what people say, if anything I'm calmer on here because I can't react as quick

But this is me, Jonno is my real name and Jonno is really me

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    I prefer the internet because people dont judge me on my appearance (not that theres anything wrong with it) but online people see me for who i am and not what i am

I dont act any different on the net then i do going out with my mates

4. Lounge   -   #4
    i am the_faceman, and this is really me, but i won't tell you TOO much about myself.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    i have the IQ of a Mr. Hannibal Lector.....expect i ate the liver with McDonalds French Fries

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Sh1t_H4pp3nz@4 January 2004 - 02:22
    i have the IQ of a Mr. Hannibal Lector.....expect i hate the liver with McDonalds French Fries
    dude keep it up and u wont last until next week

7. Lounge   -   #7
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    As i chat with a few people from here they have begun to know who i am - its not that much different from my image here i guess. I have a webcam which i am beginning to use, which is great fun even if the connection can sometimes be eratic.

Being here for over a year now, its quite difficult to hide most aspects of your true self, they leak out in the end and people will have a fair idea of who you are anyways.

Ive probably only freaked out twice in the past year - its not my usual style and i think evryone appreciates that.

Peace
    UKMan

8. Lounge   -   #8
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Ignor the dork He/she/IT probably has small genitals and no friends

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

9. Lounge   -   #9
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Originally posted by the_faceman@3 January 2004 - 19:14
    Do you think people see you differently on this forum for example, than your friends, family and associates in the real world do?
    Yeah, there no reason to judge on here.

Do you consciously act different? Do you act different but only realise it when you stop to think about it?
    I don't think i do on here, mabey more cocky on here

Do you feel it gives you a fresh start, because no-one knows anything about your past etc? For example, you could have been the biggest geek in your school, yet online command respect and admiration from others. (whilst snorting at your own jokes at home)
    Yeah, like i said for the first question. Theres no reason to judge anyone here. We all really come here to get along in the first place.

Another question i'll slip in - do you feel that the friendships formed online are as real and strong as they are in real life.
    No not at all, in real life you can relie on your friend. While on here you really can't.

I feel that i genuinely like the people i talk to a lot, on soulseek for example, and even feel i know them to a small extent. but to consider them a real "friend" i'd have to drop the guard of anonyminity. For example, no-one knows my real name - and i think it would be crazy to call someone a friend if they didn't even know that. What is good for the goose is good for the gander so to speak, just as you can be virtually anyone you want to be online, the person you are talking to has the same freedom.

I do believe that you could have a real friend that you have never met in person, as long as everything was in the open. I know people's parents that have friends in the US and they talk via microphone and webcam etc, and they seem to have a real bond with those people.
    I don't tell people my reall name on the board, enless i talk to them alot. But only in PM's or instant messangers.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@4 January 2004 - 02:26
    Ignor the dork He/she/IT probably has small genitals and no friends

Jonno B)
    that's no way to talk about UKMan!

j/k

Thanks for your input, everyone but that Sh1t_H4pp3nz guy.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast