Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Program Do You Think Is The Best That ......

Poster
    Im using TCPOptimizer. It just tweaked my computer a little bit, but once I start a download, it goes to about 420KB/sec, then goes down to about 150KB/sec.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by Izagaia@4 January 2004 - 22:57
    I agree with Foot Loose.

Your actual speeds are set by your ISP. A 56k connection will always remain a 56k connection (and you can forget on ever reaching the full 56kbps) no matter what you do or software you install. You can do a few tweaks here and there to improve page loading for your browser or install download managing programs to draw from the most available sources but that is about it. Perhaps if you are currently using a dial-up connection that is v90-based, you may want to switch it out for one that can support v92. Even then that will only lessen the "handshake time" between your modem and your ISP to reduce the actual time it takes you to connect. They say that the v92 standard also helps improve speed somewhat but I think that mostly pertains to just being able to make better use of the bandwidth your ISP alots you. Using the more premium designed phone lines running from your system to the outlet jack may improve the flow which will improve speed overall but do not count on anything earth-shattering. Other elements such as your area, type of services available, phone lines, internet traffic and even other users can all make or break your connection speeds.
    You got that right...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    in the properties for ur network card disable QOS packet schedular its always one of the first things i do when configuring my network, it improves speeds for your LAN but u probably wont notice a difference in download speeds

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+4 January 2004 - 16:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 4 January 2004 - 16:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Izagaia@4 January 2004 - 17:57
    I agree with Foot Loose.

Your actual speeds are set by your ISP. A 56k connection will always remain a 56k connection (and you can forget on ever reaching the full 56kbps) no matter what you do or software you install. You can do a few tweaks here and there to improve page loading for your browser or install download managing programs to draw from the most available sources but that is about it. Perhaps if you are currently using a dial-up connection that is v90-based, you may want to switch it out for one that can support v92. Even then that will only lessen the "handshake time" between your modem and your ISP to reduce the actual time it takes you to connect. They say that the v92 standard also helps improve speed somewhat but I think that mostly pertains to just being able to make better use of the bandwidth your ISP alots you. Using the more premium designed phone lines running from your system to the outlet jack may improve the flow which will improve speed overall but do not count on anything earth-shattering. Other elements such as your area, type of services available, phone lines, internet traffic and even other users can all make or break your connection speeds.
    well said [/b][/quote]
    not well said.
    it&#39;s all one giant fucking paragraph.

sparsely refuses to read it.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by Mik3ll@5 January 2004 - 01:38
    Im using TCPOptimizer. It just tweaked my computer a little bit, but once I start a download, it goes to about 420KB/sec, then goes down to about 150KB/sec.
    I heard that this will happen because when you first begin downloading, it takes a second for everything to synch and start reporting so when it does start reporting, it shows a large number then slows back down when everythings is caught up and showing the REAL download speed. Just something I read, though.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    First of all you guys dont know shit&#33;&#33;

Your ISP might set you internet speed, but you only download as fast as the slowest link in the chain.

Now.

EXAMPLE FOR DAP
    You Have 1500 DSL.

You are downloading from a slow website,

The website restricts download speeds to 20KB/s Per connection.

Now you ISP might allow you to DL at 187kb/s but the fastest your going to donwload is at 20KB/s because the website is the slowest link in the chain.

Now if you have DAP, it will open up 10 connections to this website and you will then be getting 200kb/s of bandwidth, that will max out your connection and you will be downloading at 187kb/s.

Conclusion of example:
    If you dont use DAP in this senario you would download at 20kB/s
    If you do use DAP in this senario you would download at 187kB/s

THE LOW DOWN ON WEBSURFING ACCELERATOR
    But for web surfing accelerators they are just a load of crap they just save the pages to you HD so you are surfing localy, which is fast and will save a small about of bandwidth on ur behalf but wont help your download speed.

So in responce to your question DAP is the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12