Thread: Gta Goes To Court... Again

MajorTom's Avatar Member
    Strung out in heaven's high hitting an all time low
    GTA race case filed
    Correspondents in Palm Beach, Florida
    January 2, 2004

A US lawsuit that claims a top-selling video game is dangerous to society and asks that it be removed from store shelves will be decided in the country's federal court.

Haitian civil rights groups filed the lawsuit because the game, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, instructs players to "kill the Haitians" and awards points for each kill.

The New York-based Rockstar Games has agreed to remove the offensive line from future versions of the award-winning video that has sold 11 million copies.

But the Haitian organisations, led by the Haitian-American Coalition of Palm Beach County, have also asked for more than $US15,000 in damages.

The suit was filed on December 23 in state circuit court in Palm Beach County. Attorneys for Rockstar Games opted to move the case to federal court, and that motion was granted Tuesday. No hearing dates were immediately set.

The lawsuit takes on heavyweights in the video game industry, including Rockstar Games, its parent company Take-Two Interactive Software, Sony Computer Entertainment, the Microsoft, and retailers Target, Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

The manufacturer of the game, in which an ex-convict is hired to recover stolen drug money in the streets of Miami, has been harshly criticized for its portrayal of Haitians.

Earlier this month, about 100 Haitian-Americans demonstrated outside a Wal-Mart Supercenter in nearby Boynton Beach chanting, "Stop Vice City."

Attorneys for the Haitian organisations and the video game manufacturer did not return phone calls late Wednesday.

The Associated Press

2. Games   -   #2
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    gawd damnit its just a game damnit............. i just dont get why they gotta go all PMS about it......

3. Games   -   #3
    Poster
    This is old news.

I heard about it quite a while ago.

4. Games   -   #4
    - Nightmare -'s Avatar Arch-angel
    These people need to stop complaining and go get a life.

It is time...

...for the end to be stopped.

5. Games   -   #5
    Funny how Italian-Americans and Japanese-Americans did not do a thing about GTA3, in which Italians and Japanese were slaughtered.

Fucking Haitians, they can go to hell.

6. Games   -   #6
    Lick My Lovepump
    Damn idiots want damages.
    I bet $0 of that money will go to people that need it.

7. Games   -   #7
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    thing bout this is most of us already have this game. and there's not point in buying it if there's no mp. so lets hope san andreas doesn't get affected by this too much

8. Games   -   #8
    Poster
    also you have to do a few hits on Cuban's and im hispanic i guess i should sue as well , oh well i guess some people take things a little to seriously plus this news is really old.

9. Games   -   #9
    Poster
    *deleted post*

10. Games   -   #10
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    GTA: Vice City is a game, for entertainment purposes, not to be taken seriously. People need to stop complaining, if you don't like it, don't play it, its as simple as that. This is almost as stupid as the time some family sued Rockstar because their son played Vice City and ended up killing someone. I've been playing Vice City for years now, how come I havn't killed anyone? And they want 15 grand for damages, what damages? It's not like Haitians were killed in real life or anything.