Thread: Removing Nsw & Nis Totaly

BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1

Again Norton Shutting down problem

how to remove all of the component including regestration key?

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Use the add/remove programs applet to remove stuff.
    download the NIS removal tool from symantec/norton website and run it.
    Search for norton in the registry
    If you haven't got any other symantec products on your com, search it for symantec too
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Originally posted by Smurfette@4 January 2004 - 17:55
    If you haven't got any other symantec products on your com, search it for symantec too
    I have to disagree here. In fact this is the exact thing you should never ever do regarding Symantec softwares. Using windows own control applets to remove them are only asking for a cornecopia of cluster @#!?*.

You can use the removal tools from their website to safely be rid of any nagging registry keys and files only after you have run the uninstall from the norton/symantec setup/install files or disk.

Meaning just pop in your Norton CD (or the file if you have the program saved on your harddrive) and click on the setup.exe file as if you are going to install. The CD will detect that you already have the symantec product installed and present you with a number of options. The correct one being to "uninstall/remove the product from my system". Reboot afterwards or when prompted after completion.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Use Regcleaner best freeware program there is . Youll be amazed at what you had thought you deleted but still has footprints in your Registery.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Izagaia+4 January 2004 - 23:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Izagaia @ 4 January 2004 - 23:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Smurfette@4 January 2004 - 17:55
    If you haven&#39;t got any other symantec products on your com, search it for symantec too
    I have to disagree here. In fact this is the exact thing you should never ever do regarding Symantec softwares. Using windows own control applets to remove them are only asking for a cornecopia of cluster @#&#33;?*.

You can use the removal tools from their website to safely be rid of any nagging registry keys and files only after you have run the uninstall from the norton/symantec setup/install files or disk.

Meaning just pop in your Norton CD (or the file if you have the program saved on your harddrive) and click on the setup.exe file as if you are going to install. The CD will detect that you already have the symantec installed and present you with a number of options. The correct one being to "uninstall/remove the product from my system". Reboot afterwards or when prompted after completion. [/b][/quote]
    Sorry to mislead, but I thought the add/remove would use the setup file to do the business... for quite a while now the ones I&#39;ve used have been of the type that brings up the re-install/fix/uninstall options just as if the setup had been run.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    use norton cleansweep to get rid of it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Originally posted by Smurfette@4 January 2004 - 18:53

Sorry to mislead, but I thought the add/remove would use the setup file to do the business... for quite a while now the ones I&#39;ve used have been of the type that brings up the re-install/fix/uninstall options just as if the setup had been run.
    Unfortunately Symantec products are not like the traditional application and do not initially set an uninstall string into the registry when first installed. Nor does it use the windows installer. You can attempt to use the applet all you wish, windows will only make funny noises at you and display error messages. Even if you managed you get to a point where it appeared as if it were gone- it would remain and possibly interefere with the installation of future applications of a simlar nature. Even for the applet to run as you describe, it would need the setup file as well as other installation files only located upon the CD (or the folder where you have it stored). Windows does not have the information it needs to uninstall using only what is available in C:&#092;Program Files.

The help files of the Symantec program you have will outline the exact proceedure you need for uninstalling regardless.