Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "piracy Police Get New Weapon" Against Kazaa Users

Poster
    Well, I'd like to add my 2 cents (I know a lot about privacy, or think I do). To hide your IP address from other users go to the options menu. Under the Firewall tab, configure your copy of Kazaa Lite or K++ to use a privacy SOCKS5 proxy. This will hide your true IP from the downloader. Beware however, it will slow down your transfers.
    If you are truly paranoid (after reading the articles, I'm sure more of you are), you could switch over to Filetopia (http://www.filetopia.com). This uses strong encryption to hide your activities from even your own ISP! Make sure you configure Filetopia to use a SOCKS or HTTP proxy, and switch the encryption algorithm from Rijndael to 256-Bit Twofish or 448-Bit Blowfish (I don't fully trust Rijndael). That way your IP will be hidden from the RIAA/MPAA, and your activities will be hidden from your own ISP!

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by dave@26 February 2003 - 23:10
    Well, I'd like to add my 2 cents (I know a lot about privacy, or think I do). To hide your IP address from other users go to the options menu. Under the Firewall tab, configure your copy of Kazaa Lite or K++ to use a privacy SOCKS5 proxy. This will hide your true IP from the downloader. Beware however, it will slow down your transfers.
    If you are truly paranoid (after reading the articles, I'm sure more of you are), you could switch over to Filetopia (http://www.filetopia.com). This uses strong encryption to hide your activities from even your own ISP! Make sure you configure Filetopia to use a SOCKS or HTTP proxy, and switch the encryption algorithm from Rijndael to 256-Bit Twofish or 448-Bit Blowfish (I don't fully trust Rijndael). That way your IP will be hidden from the RIAA/MPAA, and your activities will be hidden from your own ISP!
    Sorry is this another of these foreign language things.

What is MPAA. Is it similar to RIAA

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    I was checking out what was being said and I say If we all run and hide under a rock then these type companies will always tell us what we can and can't not do. i think it is foolish for anyone to tell you how you can or can't share with others. I believe that how this so call global trading crap got started. I just don't believe in somebody telling me how I can use my internet service and what I can't download. They kiss my entire world for all I care.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Poster
    To answer JimF's question, the MPAA stands for the Motion Picture Assosication of America. What do you all think of the encryption/proxy route to protecting yourself?

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    If I get in trouble for sharing, I will fight back. I put up with way too much from nonsharers as it is. My fight will be about the files I share myself. Files thats I had made. It is legal to tape something off the television. If I choose to convert it to digital media, thats my legal choice. So my files are legal to have, but possibly not to share. But since I taped them back in the early 90s, when I was a young kid, using tapes from the 80's that had been retaped over again and again. The quality isnt too good. Especially since I decided to edit out commercials via VCR. If I knew that this media would be invented in the future, I would have left them alone.

These shows have been cancled. They were obviously good enough to have multiple seasons. What money can they possibly get by syndication? I say either put these shows back on tv, released them to DVD, or let us have out files.

That's my promise. I will, stop sharing, delete, and buy these episodes as soon as they bring em back. We're not crooks, we're simply preserving tv history.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by dave@26 February 2003 - 17:10
    ty dave for that piece of info.
    everythig he said is true guys
    standard web proxies dont do diddly but try to protect your anonymity via web browser.
    a good socks5 proxy is the way to go...
    and blowfish encryption is the shit!!
    if the heat gets too heavy, hopefully enough dedicated users will take this mans advice
    -latah

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    geprobert's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ProwL418+27 February 2003 - 07:39--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ProwL418 @ 27 February 2003 - 07:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--dave@26 February 2003 - 17:10
    If you are truly paranoid (after reading the articles, I&#39;m sure more of you are), you could switch over to Filetopia (http://www.filetopia.com). This uses strong encryption to hide your activities from even your own ISP&#33; Make sure you configure Filetopia to use a SOCKS or HTTP proxy, and switch the encryption algorithm from Rijndael to 256-Bit Twofish or 448-Bit Blowfish (I don&#39;t fully trust Rijndael). That way your IP will be hidden from the RIAA/MPAA, and your activities will be hidden from your own ISP&#33;
    standard web proxies dont do diddly but try to protect your anonymity via web browser.
    and blowfish encryption is the shit&#33;&#33;
    if the heat gets too heavy, hopefully enough dedicated users will take this mans advice
    -latah[/b][/quote]
    With regards to this, I wondered if someone could explain how to do all this in idiot-speak

I would like to hide everything I do, and especially encrypt it, but having looked at filetopia.com I don&#39;t really understand. It goes on about being an engine for file sharing, chat and other such things...

If it isn&#39;t too much of a pain, would it be possible to explain how I would implement all of this hiding behind a proxy? Or is that not spelled out because of security reasons?&#33; (you could tell me but then you&#39;d have to kill me&#33;&#33

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    SHIFTY's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by gnice4now@26 February 2003 - 23:37
    I was checking out what was being said and I say If we all run and hide under a rock then these type companies will always tell us what we can and can&#39;t not do. i think it is foolish for anyone to tell you how you can or can&#39;t share with others. I believe that how this so call global trading crap got started. I just don&#39;t believe in somebody telling me how I can use my internet service and what I can&#39;t download. They kiss my entire world for all I care.
    i agree completely no one can tell me what i can and cant do on the internet
    its a world of freedom and these governmential assholse trying to
    take over the place can suck it dry for all i care, therefor i refuse to stop
    transferring and i will leave my IP open + its one of those changing ones so every 2 hrs my IP
    changes (nice ey&#33 and that way im safe not that i really give a crap
    sharing is what i do and will keep doing till the cows come home
    and luckily i have no cows so i will forever be sharing
    RIAA & MPAA AND ANY OTHER COPYRIGHT AUTHORITIES CAN STICK IT
    no need to worry folks it has been said many a time before and
    look what happened when napster died
    another 10 or so EVEN better p2p&#39;s were released
    this means that we will be fine forever&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;LONG LIVE P2P&#33;

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by geprobert+28 February 2003 - 10:40--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (geprobert @ 28 February 2003 - 10:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -ProwL418@27 February 2003 - 07:39
    <!--QuoteBegin--dave
    @26 February 2003 - 17:10
    If you are truly paranoid (after reading the articles, I&#39;m sure more of you are), you could switch over to Filetopia (http://www.filetopia.com). This uses strong encryption to hide your activities from even your own ISP&#33; Make sure you configure Filetopia to use a SOCKS or HTTP proxy, and switch the encryption algorithm from Rijndael to 256-Bit Twofish or 448-Bit Blowfish (I don&#39;t fully trust Rijndael). That way your IP will be hidden from the RIAA/MPAA, and your activities will be hidden from your own ISP&#33;

and blowfish encryption is the shit&#33;&#33;
    -latah
    With regards to this, I wondered if someone could explain how to do all this in idiot-speak

I would like to hide everything I do, and especially encrypt it, but having looked at filetopia.com I don&#39;t really understand. It goes on about being an engine for file sharing, chat and other such things...

If it isn&#39;t too much of a pain, would it be possible to explain how I would implement all of this hiding behind a proxy? Or is that not spelled out because of security reasons?&#33; (you could tell me but then you&#39;d have to kill me&#33;&#33 [/b][/quote]
    Sure, I can explain how to do it. First locate a good SOCKS5 anonymizing proxy. (You can try looking on google). Once you install the program, it will ask you to pick a username and password. It will have other options like your main interest, connection speed, connection method, and then proxy. Choose the proxy type from the List (if you&#39;re using a SOCKS4 or SOCKS5 proxy, be sure to choose that). Then all you have to do is type in the IP of the SOCKS (or HTTP) proxy and the port #. It will use this proxy to connect. Also, to change the encryption algorithm (I don&#39;t trust Rijndael), click on the Options menu, and then click Security. The menu will have a list of encryption algorithms supported. I&#39;d recommend that you use either Twofish or Blowfish. Next it says "Number of bits to generate for random seed". This is how long your encryption key will be. If you are using Twofish, you can set this all the way up to 256 bits, if you are using Blowfish, you can go all the way up to 448 bits. Do not check the box labeled "Limit Encryption Key Length to 64 Bits". This weakens the encryption so huge computer networks will be able to try all keys. I&#39;d recomment that you check the option "Hide username in network searchs". Hope this helps, and I hope the Filetopia Network grows (as of right now it&#39;s only about 4,000 members), but as the lawsuits pile up, it&#39;s bound to grow.

Try the list of proxies at the site (http://www.mazafaka.ru/proxy/). It has all the proxies you could possibly want (131 pages&#33. SOCKS5 is the way to go. I&#39;m not 100% sure, so don&#39;t quote me, but I&#39;ve heard that SOCKS5 proxies are non-caching, meaning they keep no logs. As soon as you log off, all records that could be traced to you will likely be destroyed.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Poster
    A few more advantages. Filetopia comes with built in chatrooms, and it is a collection manager (it will make sure you are not downloading a file you already have).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast