Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "piracy Police Get New Weapon" Against Kazaa Users

Forum Star
    RIAA = USA

So everybody outside the USA doesn't have to worry.

Or move to The Netherlands, the only country in the world where KaZaA is officially legal B)

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by Paul@4 March 2003 - 14:22
    RIAA = USA

Or move to The Netherlands, the only country in the world where KaZaA is officially legal  B)
    Cor blimey,I wish !!!........Just lurve your ahem....'Coffee' shops,though I think it's a great shame that the 'Dam has become quite a heavy place over the years..."Goddam the pusher man" - Steppenwolf

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Poster
    Get Peer Guardian and enabled No.files in Kazaa Lite++ v2.1 and you're pretty safe unless they're doing file-by-file searches for your shared files using a cop-bot on an 'unknown' (to Peer Guardian) ip.

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    TRshady
    Originally posted by Paul@4 March 2003 - 13:22
    RIAA = USA

Or move to The Netherlands, the only country in the world where KaZaA is officially legal B)
    You sure that people outside us (im in the uk) have nothing to worry, or at least less likely to get caught?

As for buying cd's, I only buy cd's which I believe deserve to be bought, as fc said, "most albums only have about five good songs", this is mainly peoples music I'm a fan of. Eminem, shaggy, Linkin park, Dr.dre, 50 Cent, D12, and a lot of compilation cd's. So I do buy music cd's (about one a week), but as for software, I prefere the cheaper option (KAZAA LITE).

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    How I see it: So long as no one is makeing money by selling what is shared there is nothing wrong. The piracy police need to be concerend only if people turn around and sell what they down loaded for free.

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    pmg
    Originally posted by starship1st@4 March 2003 - 23:20
    How I see it:  So long as no one is makeing money by selling what is shared there is nothing wrong.  The piracy police need to be concerend only if people turn around and sell what they down loaded for free. 
    I don't know about that...So If I give copies of my games and programs to everyone for free, it's ok because I'm not making a profit? I'm a p2p guy too, but there's a fundamental flaw with your reasoning.

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by pmg+5 March 2003 - 02:27--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pmg @ 5 March 2003 - 02:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--starship1st@4 March 2003 - 23:20
    How I see it: So long as no one is makeing money by selling what is shared there is nothing wrong. The piracy police need to be concerend only if people turn around and sell what they down loaded for free.
    I don&#39;t know about that...So If I give copies of my games and programs to everyone for free, it&#39;s ok because I&#39;m not making a profit? I&#39;m a p2p guy too, but there&#39;s a fundamental flaw with your reasoning. [/b][/quote]
    Actually he&#39;s correct in practical terms. I can&#39;t be arsed explaining why, because I&#39;ve done it loads of times before. So if you can tell me what criminal offence he is commiting I will tell you why he will not be prosecuted.

Don&#39;t just say he is copying or sharing files, because that is not a criminal offence. It may be a civil matter, but that is an entirely seperate issue. Do me a favour, if you can&#39;t make a sensible reply to this then shut up, You don&#39;t know what you are talking about.

Glib urban myths and anecdotal evidence do not constitute a reasoned arguement.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by dave@26 February 2003 - 23:10
    Well, I&#39;d like to add my 2 cents (I know a lot about privacy, or think I do). To hide your IP address from other users go to the options menu. Under the Firewall tab, configure your copy of Kazaa Lite or K++ to use a privacy SOCKS5 proxy. This will hide your true IP from the downloader. Beware however, it will slow down your transfers.
    If you are truly paranoid (after reading the articles, I&#39;m sure more of you are), you could switch over to Filetopia (http://www.filetopia.com). This uses strong encryption to hide your activities from even your own ISP&#33; Make sure you configure Filetopia to use a SOCKS or HTTP proxy, and switch the encryption algorithm from Rijndael to 256-Bit Twofish or 448-Bit Blowfish (I don&#39;t fully trust Rijndael). That way your IP will be hidden from the RIAA/MPAA, and your activities will be hidden from your own ISP&#33;
    Although I agree you can hide your IP address from other users, it is impossible to hide your internet activities from your ISP. It&#39;s inane to think such a thing is possible.
    Your ISP monitors all of your internet activity. Remember you must go through their servers first to reach any proxy server you may be using. This is no different than your telephone company(they keep track of all calls from your phone# in a similar manner). The prime difference is how long your ISP decides to keep this vast amount of information(and whether they want to "share" it with anyone). I imagine that it isn&#39;t kept for to long due to the need for the space. But, this is continually changing as hardware costs drop.
    Frankly, encryption is the future of P2P. My ISP, the government, the RIAA, whoever, can monitor me, but so long as it is encrypted, they won&#39;t know what I&#39;m trading.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    I have I got a few things to say on the subject aswell, my first being a ironic point, we are bitching about companies trying to stop us from stealing their software. I mean be honest we are down right jacking the shit, but until they stop us we are gonna do it. We rationalize by saying we are not making money, it is stealing. Atleast be able to admit that we ar no better than a common theif that robs a electronics beautique.
    The problem with the companies is that they are trying to catch the people that actually buy the stuff then share it. The real problem is me, I have not bought anything, software or music wise in a few years now.
    I am not lecturing becuae I am the same as everyone else i just think it is pretty bad that we are bitching about companies trying to stop us from jacking their shit.
    About privacy, that could be problem for some of you out there, I am canadian and our rights are actually protected so I am not worried about it.

I say if we are gonna do it they can try and stop us. Until then happy downloading, and keep sharing.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Poster
    Originally posted by harrycary+5 March 2003 - 06:27--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (harrycary @ 5 March 2003 - 06:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--dave@26 February 2003 - 23:10
    Well, I&#39;d like to add my 2 cents (I know a lot about privacy, or think I do). To hide your IP address from other users go to the options menu. Under the Firewall tab, configure your copy of Kazaa Lite or K++ to use a privacy SOCKS5 proxy. This will hide your true IP from the downloader. Beware however, it will slow down your transfers.
    If you are truly paranoid (after reading the articles, I&#39;m sure more of you are), you could switch over to Filetopia (http://www.filetopia.com). This uses strong encryption to hide your activities from even your own ISP&#33; Make sure you configure Filetopia to use a SOCKS or HTTP proxy, and switch the encryption algorithm from Rijndael to 256-Bit Twofish or 448-Bit Blowfish (I don&#39;t fully trust Rijndael). That way your IP will be hidden from the RIAA/MPAA, and your activities will be hidden from your own ISP&#33;
    Although I agree you can hide your IP address from other users, it is impossible to hide your internet activities from your ISP. It&#39;s inane to think such a thing is possible.
    Your ISP monitors all of your internet activity. Remember you must go through their servers first to reach any proxy server you may be using. This is no different than your telephone company(they keep track of all calls from your phone# in a similar manner). The prime difference is how long your ISP decides to keep this vast amount of information(and whether they want to "share" it with anyone). I imagine that it isn&#39;t kept for to long due to the need for the space. But, this is continually changing as hardware costs drop.
    Frankly, encryption is the future of P2P. My ISP, the government, the RIAA, whoever, can monitor me, but so long as it is encrypted, they won&#39;t know what I&#39;m trading. [/b][/quote]
    That was what I was trying to say. When you use filetopia, it encrypts all data that goes across the network. That will stop your ISP from reading it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast