Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "piracy Police Get New Weapon" Against Kazaa Users

Ok if someone posted on this topic already please post a link so I can read more on it. My main question is does the "Privacy on" regedit hack help any against the RIAA snooping around one's shared files? Should we be concerned?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Tue, Feb. 25, 2003

Piracy police get new weapon
    BY JON HEALEY
    Los Angeles Times Service

This story is for all the people secretly copying digital songs, movies and games through online file-sharing systems like Kazaa and Gnutella.

You know who you are.

And soon the copyright cops might.

So-called peer-to-peer networks are very good at distributing digital material but very bad at hiding the sender or the receiver. Taking advantage of this transparency, record companies, Hollywood studios and other copyright holders are tracing users of peer-to-peer networks back to their Internet addresses and cataloging not only the items they've downloaded but also the goods they're storing for others to duplicate.

Once it has an alleged infringer's Internet address, the Recording Industry Association of America maintains that a copyright holder can use a federal court subpoena to force the target's Internet service provider to disclose his or her identity promptly.

The association tried to do that last summer, but the ISP involved, Verizon Communications, the nation's largest local phone company, would not comply. U.S. District Judge John D. Bates ruled in the RIAA's favor last month, but Verizon is appealing.

The surprising thing is how easy such sleuthing is, a fact that suggests the Verizon customer is merely the first of many who will be sought by the piracy police. All it takes is a copy of the free peer-to-peer software and an inexpensive program that monitors a computer's traffic.

Matching the Internet address to a home, dorm room or office cubicle takes a little more work, mainly because crucial information has to be extracted from the user's Internet service provider. But, by simply obtaining a subpoena from the local federal courthouse, copyright holders may be able to accomplish that.

Many Internet users assume that what they do online is anonymous, hidden behind such screen names as ''maximus'' and ''LadyBug.'' But they frequently, and unwittingly, disclose their Internet addresses as they work and play online. Just visiting a website can reveal the visitor's address.

Tools are available to hide addresses, but security experts say even those come up short on a peer-to-peer network when files are transferred.

Here's why: In a file-sharing system like Kazaa, users copy files directly from each others' computer hard drives. In order to make these connections, they can't conceal themselves behind a bogus Internet address. They have to disclose where they can be found.

''If I allow someone to come onto my hard drive, [the Internet protocol address] has to be real,'' one security expert said. ``If you have the real IP address, it's child's play to find out where the computer is.''

The struggle between Verizon and the RIAA stems from the work of one of the association's piracy investigators on July 15, court documents indicate. The investigator used a copy of the Kazaa software to search for an unnamed song, discovering that it was available from someone with the screen name ``hmbutler.''

The investigator then started downloading the song, using a second piece of software to monitor the data flowing in and out. That program detected hmbutler's Internet address, which the investigator traced to Verizon.

While the court filing doesn't disclose how the connection to Verizon was made, there is no shortage of websites capable of matching an Internet address to the corresponding ISP.

Unlike street addresses, which are tied to a unique location, many Internet addresses shift from computer to computer, customer to customer.

But, said Stewart Baker, general counsel for the U.S. Internet Service Provider Association, ISPs records show whose account addresses are assigned to at any given moment, although, he added, those records typically get discarded after a few days.

The RIAA also pulled together a list of over 600 music files that hmbutler was making available to be copied. That, too, is no great feat; the Kazaa software lets one click on a user's screen name to view an inventory of the files being offered for sharing.

The RIAA declined to discuss its piracy tactics, as did the Motion Picture Association of America.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    does the new private tool avoid at least those creeps from knowing what's on our shared folder without using "special" tools.
    in france if they got to use these special tools to seek what's on my computer I will simply invoke privacy violation.
    besides everything I own on my computer can also be found on my own legal cd's and dvd's and I don't see how they could prove that I'm actually allow people to download from me.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I wouldnt get to worked up about it, use it if it makes you feel better but the actual chance of getting caught are pretty slim. Also if ur in a different country from america. then they would have to first prove through your courts that they have a right to make a claim against you anyway, which is itself a long drawn out legal process! AND even then you can dispute the claim saying they have themselves violated privacy regulations and have no legal grounding to make the claim in the first place!

So dont worry yourself too much. Personally i dont use it because sometimes when i get a good connection speed i like to search the rest of the users files and it would be a bit hypocritical if i didnt let others do the same.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by bozo8787@26 February 2003 - 12:37
    The investigator then started downloading the song, using a second piece of software to monitor the data flowing in and out. That program detected hmbutler's Internet address (...)
    Is this the terrible "new weapon"? netstat.exe?
    The RIAA also pulled together a list of over 600 music files that hmbutler was making available to be copied. That, too, is no great feat; the Kazaa software lets one click on a user's screen name to view an inventory of the files being offered for sharing.
    This is exactly what K++'s No.files setting (which can be turned on with the privacy_on.reg file) prevents. So yes, it helps. But, as kevin said, there's really no reason to get worried...

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    SideSwiped's Avatar LB 3880
    I'm not worried about it, the riaa and the film industry would be commiting financial suicide if they attacked us wholesale. Think of the hundreds of thousands of ppl that use p2p's, an awful lot of money would be spent trying to track down every person that ever shared a file. Besides, having their heads up their collective @$$ they might improve record sales if they'd lower the price of the products. They blame p2p for lowering sales, but high prices and fear of a major recession spurred by the terrorist attack is the most logical answer.

Just remember one thing, if they do aggressively persue the p2p's we are many strong and a world wide boycot on all entertainment products is a very serious weapon.

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash, and it's gone.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Leech_Killer's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by SideSwiped@26 February 2003 - 14:02
    Besides, having their heads up their collective @$$ they might improve record sales if they'd lower the price of the products.
    I'd agree with that as the average cost of a CD in the UK is about £15.99 thats $22.71. Thats just daylight robbery. The cost of manufacturing these CD's has being coming down and down while the price has being going up and up, they're just taking the pi$$.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Leech_Killer+26 February 2003 - 14:28--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Leech_Killer @ 26 February 2003 - 14:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--SideSwiped@26 February 2003 - 14:02
    Besides, having their heads up their collective @&#036;&#036; they might improve record sales if they&#39;d lower the price of the products.
    I&#39;d agree with that as the average cost of a CD in the UK is about £15.99 thats &#036;22.71. Thats just daylight robbery. The cost of manufacturing these CD&#39;s has being coming down and down while the price has being going up and up, they&#39;re just taking the pi&#036;&#036;. [/b][/quote]
    Quite right L_K. The record companies deserve NO sympathy, especially in the UK, where they&#39;ve been overcharging, hand in hand with the retailers uch as HMV, Virgin etc, for ever. It&#39;s funny how the supermarkets can sell the same product for £9.99 and still make a profit.

The diference in prices is very marked when you compare the UK to the US. A cd costing £15.99 in the UK can be &#036;15.99 or less in the US which is a third less. They always give a load of cock and bull about &#39;distribution costs&#39; and taxes etc...what a load of crap. The same goes for videos, DVD&#39;s et al

Even the internet stores like Amazon maintain these differences. Amazon are boasting about free delivery on orders over £39 - how come they do it for orders over &#036;25( &#036;16/17) in the US.

Welcome to rip-off Britain - no wonder we embrace P2P sharing.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    insanebassman
    As a member of an unsigned band, file sharing and the internet is about the only way we can afford to distribute... fuck the companies, I will make money the old fashion way, getting on stage and earning it.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    get a firewall then
    Overnet Lite 0.53

Free hosting for P2P clients - PM me

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by insanebassman@26 February 2003 - 20:18
    As a member of an unsigned band, file sharing and the internet is about the only way we can afford to distribute... fuck the companies, I will make money the old fashion way, getting on stage and earning it.
    IBM

What instrument do you play and are you really mental

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast