Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada- A Bit Chilly, Eh?

How can you enjoy living in such a cold enviroment? MN is telling us that it is -10F(-23C) without the wind chill.

How do you not get depressed being a prisoner to your long grey winters. It seems you live in a network of tubes to avoid traveling outside.

What is the attraction? I grew up in the Midwest and absolutely hated the restrictions of the cold and that low gray sky which was so ever present. The only time it was clear was on the brutally cold days.

I really enjoyed waiting at the bus stop with my hands and feet numb. That way, once you're in the bus and starting to thaw out, you get to feel the throbbing pain as your limb thaw.

It is obviously much colder up there, particularly away from the coasts.

It is currently overcast, but 72F (22C) where I live in Texas. I have full access to the outdoors. In fact, I have my balconey door wide open and I am grilling burgers outside.

Do your short cool summers make up for long-term imprisonment? I am sure you acclimate to some degree, but at -10F, flesh will quickly freeze on contact.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Yesterday it was 15C here. I don't think that's cold... I was in shorts!!!

Short cool summers??? Average temperature here this summer was over 30C - not cool - and summer lasted well into October - not short either!!

It's not frigid everywhere in Canada.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I've had -30 degrees Celcius here, stayed indoors for a week, no more than -16 thus far this winter though, the worst part wasn't the cold though, the worst bit is the darkness, it gets dark pretty quick in the day at northern latitudes.

Guess I'm OT though since I'm not canadian.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Ex-member
    It rains all the time here.

Actually that's a lie, sometimes it snows.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Maybe I should report us both, we are clearly OT here.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Originally posted by Lamsey@4 January 2004 - 19:30

Actually that's a lie, sometimes it snows.
    They never told me that

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by NikkiD@4 January 2004 - 19:15
    Yesterday it was 15C here. I don't think that's cold... I was in shorts!!!

Short cool summers??? Average temperature here this summer was over 30C - not cool - and summer lasted well into October - not short either!!

It's not frigid everywhere in Canada.
    I think MN works in some remote weather station, perhaps left over from "The Thing".

I had checked a Canadian weather map and it showed that 8/17 cities had temperatures below -20C, only a couple of coastal cities broke 0. You must be located near a body of water that stabilizes your temperature.

The only body of water I am near is the outdoor swimming pool, which is open.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Originally posted by Skweeky+4 January 2004 - 20:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Skweeky @ 4 January 2004 - 20:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@4 January 2004 - 19:30

Actually that&#39;s a lie, sometimes it snows.
    They never told me that [/b][/quote]
    You may be in for a shock then

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    It gets cold here in Canada for sure but it&#39;s not so drab as you make it out to be.

The brightness of the white snow is uplifting and energizing.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Originally posted by hobbes@4 January 2004 - 14:49
    I think MN works in some remote weather station, perhaps left over from "The Thing".

I had checked a Canadian weather map and it showed that 8/17 cities had temperatures below -20C, only a couple of coastal cities broke 0. You must be located near a body of water that stabilizes your temperature.

The only body of water I am near is the outdoor swimming pool, which is open.
    I do actually, Lake Erie is about a block from my house. It&#39;s open too, although I won&#39;t be swimming anytime soon. Some friends did the Polar Bear Dip on New Years Day, definitely not something I would like to try.

It&#39;s colder today... but still warm for January - it&#39;s 2C.

Here is a map to my house... if you look closely, you can see me waving...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast