Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online Dvd Rental Service

Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    I've been looking at some online dvd rental sites. they seem to offer great deals (for renting and copying movies ), but i'm as always a bit sceptical, so want to know if anyone has used these services?

I'm in the UK and seem sites offering DVD's for as little as 27p a day and there is no penalty for late returns . Is there a catch?
    Robert00000

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    BLockbuster

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    BANNED
    I mate blocky are good.

4.50 for a new release p&p paid both ways for 5 days,deliverys normally next day too.Its easier,cheaper than going to the store.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    I can hire new releases for £1 from my local SPAR shop, if i return them the same day, which suits me as it takes only 15 mins to copy one to my computer

Blockbusters are atrociously expensive . I was a member years ago, but never again.

These online services i'm talking about are different. have a look at this link http://www.lovefilm.com/ It's one of dozens of sites offering the same service.

You pay £10 a month and can watch as many movies as you can, but you can only keep one at a time. What i want to know is whats the maximum anyone has watched in one month? Do they give you second class postage on returns, so causing delays?.

There is no point me joining this service unless its cheaper overall than hiring from the local hire shops, which are between £1 and £1.25 per movie (with catches on return time or days of hire, which doesnt bother me because i have large hard drives and a dvd-writer).

Another benefit of using these online service is the huge catalogue they have of 16,000 films, but has anyone had probs hiring older movies?
    Robert00000

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    BANNED
    I dont know mate havent tried any other.I tried blocky,the dvds came & i stuck with them.I dont find them expensive mate,450 postage bothways for 5 days i think is pretty good.

They're also very good mate for tv shows like friends,stargate.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    anyone here ever use netflix.com? they give u a free trial too! i'm just wondering if it's reliable

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    internet.news
    Originally posted by Robert00000@5 January 2004 - 05:42
    I've been looking at some online dvd rental sites. they seem to offer great deals (for renting and copying movies ), but i'm as always a bit sceptical, so want to know if anyone has used these services?

I'm in the UK and seem sites offering DVD's for as little as 27p a day and there is no penalty for late returns . Is there a catch?
    I don't know if I would do that as there is a shop close to us where you can rent
    dvds and videos. It would be faster than online renting due to shipping.

And 1.50Euro (=1.50Dollar) a day is fine, as I can save the movie the same day on my HD.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Hey,

As soon as I've managed to successfully copy DVD's capable of working on my DVD player (not just my PS2) I'll be using one of these services.

The one that has caught my eye is Screen Select.

They offer a free 10 day trial, although I still have a coupon for 21 day trial and they charge about £14.99 a month and no late fees. You're allowed a max of 3 DVD's out at a time, and as soon as they receive one back in the post, they ship another out to you that's on your 'Video List'. Free P&P of course is standard.

Looks very decent, and I'm definately going with them as soon as I've got my DVD copying down to a 'T'. I'm just having problems with DVD's that are double layered, but I'm using advanced methods so I can keep the quality.

Whoever mentioned Blockbusters seems like they're getting ripped off. £4.50 for a film eh? 3 Films a month you're looking at for the same price, you could have 4x that amount B)

Samurai

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Yeh, i joined screenselect last week. they are one of a number of sites offering a similar service.

I only got the 14 days free trial because i used a different promotion code (fr33). I've hired 3 films already in as many days. They sent 1 the day after i joined and another 2 after the weekend. I think i'll be able to hire 6 to 7 in a week, which isnt bad for £15 a month.

If anyone can find a even better offer let me know.
    Robert00000

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Originally posted by internet.news+13 January 2004 - 19:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (internet.news @ 13 January 2004 - 19:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robert00000@5 January 2004 - 05:42
    I&#39;ve been looking at some online dvd rental sites. they seem to offer great deals (for renting and copying movies&nbsp; ), but i&#39;m as always a bit sceptical, so want to know if anyone has used these services?

I&#39;m in the UK and seem sites offering DVD&#39;s for as little as 27p a day and there is no penalty for late returns . Is there a catch?
    I don&#39;t know if I would do that as there is a shop close to us where you can rent
    dvds and videos. It would be faster than online renting due to shipping.

And 1.50Euro (=1.50Dollar) a day is fine, as I can save the movie the same day on my HD. [/b][/quote]
    All of these sites i&#39;ve looked at offer next day delivery and the postage they also pay for both ways. So all you have to do is pay the monthly fee.

my local video shops don&#39;t stock many titles because of the limited space, plus its imposible to get hold of older titles, thats why i&#39;ve been looking at (and now using) online rental sites. It&#39;s also much cheaper.
    Robert00000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast