Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question For Networking Geniuses

Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    I'm trying to share my Cable internet connection ...

I'm planning to connect my modem through a router to my desktop PC through a wired Ethernet connection ... while at the same time using it to function as a wireless access point for connection for my laptop.

Would the DLink DI-624 router be able to do these .... split my connection for use through to both a wired and wireless connection?

I believe it would since it supports "Ethernet,IEEE 802.11b,IEEE 802.11g,Fast Ethernet." Or does it have to specifically say Wireless Access Point to work for the wireless part?

Here are more specs for the DLink DI-624 if they are necessary to answer the question.

Plz help a networking noob...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    If I understand you question right then, yes i'm quite sure you can connect to the LAN ports and use wireless with that router.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    isnt there a way to have a connector for regular hubs/switches which receives wireless data? like something u plug into a regular hub/switch and acts as a receiver for wireless transmitions and converts it to "wired" info?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    You guys were right on ...

Got it yestareday ...... It works perfectly as a WAP ... easiest setup in the world ... Now I'm trying to configure it so that it works perfectly with my network.

For security:

So far I have WEP encryption turned on .. and I stopped broadcasting the SSID.

Any other features necessary for a home network?

There is a Firewall which comes with this router. But I'm a bit confused .... Do I have to enable it to be invisible to ppl on the Internet?

Shouldn't the hardware setup of the router alone make me invisble?

If I understand this correctly ... doesn't it automatically mask the IP addresses of the computers that are connected through it - my mini LAN ..... due to NAT?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Skeptic@7 January 2004 - 10:12
    You guys were right on ...

Got it yestareday ...... It works perfectly as a WAP ... easiest setup in the world ... Now I'm trying to configure it so that it works perfectly with my network.

For security:

So far I have WEP encryption turned on .. and I stopped broadcasting the SSID.

Any other features necessary for a home network?

There is a Firewall which comes with this router. But I'm a bit confused .... Do I have to enable it to be invisible to ppl on the Internet?

Shouldn't the hardware setup of the router alone make me invisble?

If I understand this correctly ... doesn't it automatically mask the IP addresses of the computers that are connected through it - my mini LAN ..... due to NAT?
    wep encryption is bascially useless i have friends who can crack it in under 1 min

and no, dont think u have a router and firewall u think ur invisible on the internet, ur still broadcasting ur ip whenever u visit a site, play online games, download stuff on kazaa/bt/irc/newserver/emule/edonkey/overnet/gutella/itune/imesh/grokster/soulseek/mp2p/dc/shareaza/limeware/bearshare/morphous

get a clue

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    get a clue
    Now that wasn't nice, was it?

Why would you say that when he was asking for information about that? In fact he did ask politely.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    I hate it when someone posts a nice, polite thread, takes views on board etc and then someone decides to be rude

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Double Agent
    wow never for it to be meant that way

sorry mates

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    Look man ... I know I'm never going to be 100% invisible on the internet ...
    There's always going to be the pathetic dumbass who gets a little thrill in their tedious existence from hacking into someone else's connection ....

I know WEP has its faults ... any networking FAQ will tell you that much ... but I'm running a home network and I'm comfortable with security that not worthy of ultra platinum level mach 3 status

My question was simply whether my hardware router would provide the level of security a software firewall would in terms of hiding my IP address .. as default with NAT ...

I'm also quite familiar with the risks of downloading from
    kazaa/bt/irc/newserver/emule/edonkey/overnet/gutella/itune/imesh/grokster/soulseek/mp2p/dc/shareaza/limeware/bearshare/morphous
    but thank you for these pearls of wisdom ...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Double Agent
    like i said it wont HIDE ur ip address but ur router is gonna help keep hackers out, but bear in mind having a router only does 50 percent of the job

the rest is covered by running software firewall like zonealarm or sygate to keep trojans from "calling home"

coupled wtih antivirus software ur computer "should" be safe for home use.

although 2000+ bit encryption does sound tempting....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast