Thread: Problems Again

Ok. Having purchased a new motherboard, new memory, CPU and fan, I STILL can't get Windows to boot. The hard disc is obviously screwed, so i'll buy a new one tomorrow.

I have noticed that once the mains power is switched on the hard disk light on the front of the computer comes on, even though I haven't yet actually turned on the computer. Does this indicate a jumper problem somewhere on the motherboard, incorrect wiring or is it likely to be related to the knackered HD itself?

Incidentally, this all relates back to this:

http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?show...328&hl=rhydian

from November. The reason it's taken so long is that I ordered the products from Dabs at the beginning of December and they only got delivered yesterday, after several increasingly threatening emails.

Any suggestion anyone?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    GCNaddict's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Rhydian66@5 January 2004 - 18:15
    Ok. Having purchased a new motherboard, new memory, CPU and fan, I STILL can't get Windows to boot. The hard disc is obviously screwed, so i'll buy a new one tomorrow.

I have noticed that once the mains power is switched on the hard disk light on the front of the computer comes on, even though I haven't yet actually turned on the computer. Does this indicate a jumper problem somewhere on the motherboard, incorrect wiring or is it likely to be related to the knackered HD itself?

Incidentally, this all relates back to this:

http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?show...328&hl=rhydian

from November. The reason it's taken so long is that I ordered the products from Dabs at the beginning of December and they only got delivered yesterday, after several increasingly threatening emails.

Any suggestion anyone?
    plug the HDD into another comp and check it for corruption first

if its not corrupt, salvage ur crap and reformat it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    There's nothing I want to save on the drive, so i'm not bothered about that. How do I go about trying to reformat and do a clean Windows install? All I can get into is setup (pressing del) and AWDFLASH (alt F2). I have an original Windows CDROM I can use, but I can't get it to access it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Rhydian66@5 January 2004 - 18:24
    There's nothing I want to save on the drive, so i'm not bothered about that. How do I go about trying to reformat and do a clean Windows install? All I can get into is setup (pressing del) and AWDFLASH (alt F2). I have an original Windows CDROM I can use, but I can't get it to access it.
    get a winxp (or better: longhorn) cd (must be the FULL INSTALL, NNOOTT TTHHEE UUPPGGRRAADDEE) and insert the cd b4 the mobo tries to boot the HDD

it should take over and install: it will first say "press any key to boot from CD" with a 5-dot timer "....."

if it doesnt boot from the CD, go 2 the bios, into the advanced bios options (or whatever its called, right under the standard CMOS Crap) and change the boot order so that the CD boots either 1st or second, with the HDD being 3rd.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    By "setup" do you mean BIOS?
    If so, have you set the first boot device to be the CD-ROM?
    This should get you access to the Windows installation CD and the format tools therein.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    So far so good- changed the boot order and it's installing perfectly. Thanks for the help. I guess it also means I installed the motherboard correctly, something never attempted before. Woo Hoo!

Cheers.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    if it works then yes, cheers

if it doesnt work then keep trying. theres a solution out there somewhere