Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generation Gap

ok,
    so how many generation do we have say 4 and working on 5th
    Ther has been a tremondous growth in the field of computer technology
    IF you analize Moore's law, it states that the transistor density on integrated circuits doubles every couple of years. This exponential growth and ever-shrinking transistor size result in increased performance and decreased cost.

Ok now the moment a new technology comes up
    our computer becomes piece of junk
    On an average 1 has to upgarde ur computer within (at least) 3years if you r concerned with processing speed and also new form factor
    As this field is at the urge o f progress, ther r no standard form factors
    As a result we have to dump our old computers and knd of buy or upgrade a new one DID U NotICe any thing about the whole proceedure

WE CAN NOT MAKE USE OF OUR OLD COMPUTERS ALONG WITH THE NEW ONE S TO ACHIEVE SAME GOAL

In short "Is there any way we can combine our old and new computers together" I mean not too old but atleast those which have just just come to shape up the new 1s

PARENT AND DAUGHTER COMPUTERS WORKING TOGETHER
    I know it is possible to do so but u NEED SOPHISTICATED KNOWLEDGE OF CIRCUITARY AND CHIP

I JUST WANNA KNOW IF THERE IS ANY INBUILT FACTOR TO DO SO EASILY ALSO U CAN DONATE UR IDEAS
    THANKU

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Why?
    WE CAN NOT MAKE USE OF OUR OLD COMPUTERS ALONG WITH THE NEW ONE S TO ACHIEVE SAME GOAL
    Again...why?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    my pentium 133mhz can do what i do with the current computer - surf, chat, and write documents....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Suppose I had pentium 800mzh and I had to buy a new 1 that is pentium 4 northwood now (if possible by combining them together I can achieve a greater speed, memory work load and performance.)

Why?

because now the form factor becomes old and u can hardly upgrade it
    Problem lies in upgrading coz there is no standard form factor.
    THe system becomes propietary and disposable

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by milosummer@6 January 2004 - 08:38
    Suppose I had pentium 800mzh and I had to buy a new 1 that is pentium 4 northwood now (if possible by combining them together I can achieve a greater speed, memory work load and performance.)
    there is already a (sort of) application of your theory-- it's called internet computing. but usually it centers around one or two programs, with completed work being returned across a network. there's the SETI distributed computing project, for example, which uses a diverse collection of PCs around the globe to achieve its work.

but for two or more CPUs to work in tandem as if they are both part of a single computer running a single OS between them (this would be called homogenous cluster computing), they should be the same.

both of those fall under the broader category of "distributed computing." here's a link that does an okay job of explaining it. http://gridcafe.web.cern.ch/gridcafe...d/reality.html

edit: re-arranged a bit, changed some terms, and added a link to try to make my response more accurate.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Do you Geeks ever go out?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    stfu with yer homo spam.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    GCNaddict's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@6 January 2004 - 20:17
    Do you Geeks ever go out?
    dude, fuck up. just cuz theyre geeks doesnt mean they dont have a life. its u who doesnt have a life. stop getting ass-fucked u old smurf

btw dont spam the board

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    thanky you for backing us up gncaddict....but
    dude, fuck up. just cuz theyre geeks

like clocker says, y do you think our current machine will be a pos as soon as the new technology arrive? somebody like bigdawg is probably gonna flame at you cuz they just build theirs

yea..........its called upgrading

I know it is possible to do so but u NEED SOPHISTICATED KNOWLEDGE OF CIRCUITARY AND CHIP
    im guessing you dont know too much about computer?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    lol well my machines awesome for now..i didnt even take the time to read it all...just saw yall callin it stupid, but i have no flames...for now :flame:
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast